Cabbage Tree Creek 28/2/08

Rocket75

Jason (Faulked) and I took advantage of a weekday fishing opportunity this morning by heading down to Cabbage Tree Creek at Sandgate.

Normally we use Jason’s boat as it is bigger and more comfortable, but today we were planning on covering some skinnier water at low tide, so we took my little beast (10ft tinnie with 4hp 4 stroke) out for a spin.

Not long into our first troll & not more than 50m from the ramp, Jason was on!

First blood is drawn by the deckie with a lovely little bream on a small purple hard-body.

After a happy snap he was sent back home and the lures hit the water again.

The process was repeated in roughly the same area, which eventually ended up yielding 3 bream in 20mins or so. Jason got one more on the same lure and I got my first ever bream on a hard-body :woohoo: . This was one of my main objectives to achieve this New Year. I hope it is the first of many to come.

My lure was quite large for bream, as I was thinking that it was flathead territory, but I’ll take the bream (approx 29cm).

We trolled around the various creeks and snags, enjoying the morning and watching the baitfish scatter on the glassed out surface.

Looking for some different scenery we headed out to the mouth of the creek and trolled the drop offs of the main channel.

I was thinking to myself that there must surely be flathead here, and “zzzzzzz†Jason is on to a feisty little flattie on the same lure. Once aboard and de-hooked the flattie tried to hide under my false floor. After careful extraction and a picture he swims away for another day.

We headed back into the creek to soak some bait for a bit, but continued action on the troll helped make the decision to leave the lures swimming for a bit longer.

Jason went on to pick up a small cod and a hyperactive pike on his trusty lure.

Things shut down at about 8.30, and we had to head home anyway, but we were both happy with our mornings “work!â€Â

Tally;

Deckie-Jason (Faulked) – 5

(2 bream, 1 flattie, 1 cod, 1 pike)*

Skipper-Rod (Rocket) - 1

(bream)*

*All on trolled lures.

Thanks for reading.

Jason with the first for the day.

[img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/cabbagefeb08_001.jpg

post-953-144598445243_thumb.jpg

i was using the same lure start to finish a purple coloured captiva makaze it seemed to work quite nicely at slow troll speeds with 4lb fire line it was diving to about 4ft :) the bream were all over the shallow ruble the flathead on a classic drop off and the cod deeper in the channel :)

jason

Thanks all,

Now I've got to get a bream on a SP, any tips?

Kriso, my lure was a Jarvis Walker cheapie ($2.50!) called a Nitro Express on 4 pound crystal and 6 pound fluro.

Most of my lures are flattie or bass chasers, so I need to get me some smaller shallow runners for future bream trolling.

I tried trolling a Chubbie but it didn't cope to well, perhaps we were going to quick or they may just be better for casting.

Any one had success trolling chubbies...tips appreciated.

Waldo, I owe Faulked quite a few trips still so he's safe for a while :lol: , and I'm happy as long as one of us is catching the fish :woohoo: (still glad i got one though:blush: )

Nice one rocket! wait till you get one casting a hb, itl feel even better! Im sure you could get one on sp in cabbage tree creek, just use a lightly weighted 1/16 at heavyest, all the way up to unweighted , and flick it as close to structure as you posable can, and use a leader 6lb max or even better 4lb, if you tried that for a while casting at any and every peice of structure you could find your sure to get a breambo!. :D

Fantastic - thanks for the report guys. Makes up for my fishless day in the river casting hbs along the rockswalls. Not even a smile from a proper fish (although I had a toady "smash" my sx-48). Nice work - it made me feel like ditching work just reading it! thanks again...Also congrats on the first bream on hbs, I was only using sps until I took this sites advice (Kev esp.) and got into the hbs - great stuff.

Archived