Eelin'

Cowfish13

Well after all the advice I got, I had to have a go this arvo;)

We went down for about 45mins until the mozzies came out and I got a few things.

First, I bulleted a cast into a likely looking ledge and let the Gulp! sink. I went to give it a twitch and there was some weight. I pulled the thing out and I though "WTF... What's a Crab doing here?" But it was in fact a Turtle that was holding onto the plastic. Got him to within a metre of me and then he dropped off. But he was only in 10cm deep water so I hopped down and picked him up:)

He stank pretty bad:laugh: :silly:

Then we went away for a bit of an explore, came back and I saw a big Eel swimming. I cast the lure towards him and he got startled, came to investigate and then latched on. I set the hook, and he put up a long, strong fight on my 15lb braid with 16lb leader gear:cheer:

After a bit of difficulty, we got him onto the mat and he went about 109cm. :cheer:YAY:cheer:

Would have weighed about 3kg's or so.

Let him go and because it was only a small place, everything would have been spooked so we left for home;)

Pinkey: You should try it:)

Fish pretty heavy though. He pulled some good drag off my reel. It is my Snapper/Estuary cod setup

I'll see what the Turtle looks like in the avatar:cheer:

Edit: Didn't work out too well:( . Pic was a bit small to see his face properly. I might try cropping it later

chubbstar wrote:

:laugh: :laugh: I love it, A friggen Turtle on a Brag mat:blink: :laugh: :laugh: You're a nut.

I'm glad you had fun, well done mate.

Jayson

are you kidding! He put a flamin eel on there too!:laugh: I hope he hosed and scrubbed his mat down later or it is going to reek!

Nice work on your captures mate. I've heard of eel on lure, but not turtle!

vvwolfB)

• 3 weeks later...

pinkey wrote:

Next time you go can you take some pics of the creek and structure plz :D

Well, I said I'd get some pics, and I did, just took a while:lol:

Here's what the creek looks like from the start of it/start of pipes.

As you can see, it is a pristine example of Australia's creeks:lol:

Not the best quality pic, off my phone:(

[img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Image001_AFO-3ac9eed3f5ddbd99c4360d767eee54e0.jpg

post-320-144598448646_thumb.jpg

Hey mate. I wonder what sort of turtle that is? It seriously looks like an American turtle. I wonder if its an aquarium release?

The common saw shells dont have sucha fearsome jaw.

I could be totally wrong, just have not seen one like that.

Missed this report the first time around, so well bloody done on an eel on lure! Thats cool.

Angus

there also is a couple of native snapping turtles, my son had to do a project on them, here is a description of one, I'll look for a pic

it looks like this one maybe

"""Scientific Name: Elseya dentata

Although called a snapping turtle, this Australian reptile is not related to the true snapping turtles of North America. They are relatively large turtles, reaching a shell length of around 36cm. The head is large and may become enormous in some specimens, a condition known as 'macrocephaly'. Not all individuals develop this condition and its relevance is unknown. The jaws are powerful, however, and a large specimen may deliver a nasty bite. There are two barbels on the chin which are thought to act as sense organs, possibly to assist with locating food in murky water. The shell is usually dark brown and may become stained green from algal growth. The lower part of the head may be pale cream or yellowish in colour.

Habitat: These turtles inhabit the rivers and billabongs of northern Australia from the Kimberley region of Western Australia to Southern Queensland."""

In Cowfish's pic you can see the 2 barbels under the chin

Bommie wrote:

there also is a couple of native snapping turtles, my son had to do a project on them, here is a description of one, I'll look for a pic

it looks like this one maybe

"""Scientific Name: Elseya dentata

Although called a snapping turtle, this Australian reptile is not related to the true snapping turtles of North America. They are relatively large turtles, reaching a shell length of around 36cm. The head is large and may become enormous in some specimens, a condition known as 'macrocephaly'. Not all individuals develop this condition and its relevance is unknown. The jaws are powerful, however, and a large specimen may deliver a nasty bite. There are two barbels on the chin which are thought to act as sense organs, possibly to assist with locating food in murky water. The shell is usually dark brown and may become stained green from algal growth. The lower part of the head may be pale cream or yellowish in colour.

Habitat: These turtles inhabit the rivers and billabongs of northern Australia from the Kimberley region of Western Australia to Southern Queensland."""

In Cowfish's pic you can see the 2 barbels under the chin

and we can tell that it fits the length criteria too...

Cowfish13 wrote:

pinkey wrote:
Next time you go can you take some pics of the creek and structure plz :D

Well, I said I'd get some pics, and I did, just took a while:lol:

Here's what the creek looks like from the start of it/start of pipes.

As you can see, it is a pristine example of Australia's creeks:lol:

Not the best quality pic, off my phone:(

[img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Image001_AFO-3ac9eed3f5ddbd99c4360d767eee54e0.jpg

Be careful the epa will want to turn it into a green zone.

Cheers

Ray

Archived