Skinny water Bassin

pcsolutionman

Had the day off and with the wind howling its guts out I thought man where can I go???? I have been wanting to see If I could rustle up a bass in the fresh water part of coochin for ages:woohoo: :woohoo: so thats what I did. Chucked the yak on the roof (after a not so quick repair on the rudder). I stopped off and grabbed another couple of poppers on the way (you cant have too many lures ;) ;) ). Launched the yak at 1pm at the camping grounds. I peddled a klm or so up to the coochin, mellum creek junction, I took the coochin creek arm to the left and continued peddling throwing a popper at any likely looking snag, its still salt at this stage so was hoping for a jack :woohoo: but wasnt to be, finally after a few klms the mangroves started do dissapear and the water became fresh I had to get out several times to pull the yak over some very large fallen trees, I fished the whole way up to about 500M or so from the Highway where if I had gone any further I would not have been able turn the yak around:blush: :blush:

:S

So im on the peddle back now and havnt had a touch follow or sighted a fish besides a few mullet :S :S, I was hoping there would be some bass up here but maybe not:blush:. I stopped to stretch the legs at a large fallen tree, grabbed the ecogear popper on my 4lb outfit and cast it in tight on the slack side in a little eddy,

Twitch,Twitch POP -- pause -- BANG a sizeable bass rolled on top of the lure pulling a metre or so drag but not hooking:angry: :angry: ok next cast and he has another go missing the popper all together this time :unsure: Now the heart is pumping hard. but I must have spooked him because I couldnt entice another surface strike I tied 4 different poppers, before resorting to the cheapest thing in my box a G-Vibe in elton john colour (it was very very snaggy), third cast and I got smashed hard in close to the large submerged tree, This thing has some go i thought as he screamed line off the reel, I had to put my rod in the water as he went under the tree:dry: a good 2-3 min fight later and 2 or 3 close calls I landed my first wild bass, and a ripper of a fish it was at 44cm and fat as could be.

This style of fishing really gets the adrenaline running, fishing in a creek only 15-20 feet wide riddled with snags and pulling fish like that out, absolutely amazing. I was on a high for the rest of the afternoon which mainly involve peddling back with the occasional stop at a likely looking snag, I didnt see another fish unfortunatley, but that one ie all the encouragement I need to be heading back reel soon :):)

Sorry no photos guys I didnt have a camera:( :(

Lee

good one lee I will be going back to my old stomping grounds where I landed my first wild bass on a slavco bug about 9 years ago since the water levels of the rivers have gone up from all the rain there should be some good basss around in the rivers especialy when a dam is above the river that has gone over

Yeah, there must be heaps of spots like that around that are firing up at them momet. Only thing is the bass might have moved further up stream with the increased water levels. i tried a few weeks back at the spot I caught a Bass at last year and thee were heaps of bream and mullet but no sign of any bass. But when we first went there bass were smashing the surface the whole time. I'm guessing they have headed right up stream. either that, or they've moved down into the brackish waters. When do they usually do that??

nice lee thats sounds awesome good size fish too

dan i wouldnt right off dam fishing you just wait until you get over the top of a school of 50cm bass at somewere like somerset and every drop you get smashed then lets see what you think about dam fishing i have done pleanty of both and i think there are just as good as each other

Plastic Man wrote:

nice lee thats sounds awesome good size fish too

dan i wouldnt right off dam fishing you just wait until you get over the top of a school of 50cm bass at somewere like somerset and every drop you get smashed then lets see what you think about dam fishing i have done pleanty of both and i think there are just as good as each other

You'd know better than i would lol. I just don't like it because I never catch anything in them:S

ya in a nice part of the creek there lee...i have seen a few bass get caught there on the troll..and heard rumours of toga way up there too...the weirdest thing i have got up there was a tailor! of bout 40cm and almost in straight freshwater! weird...have u fished the western side of the highway?..have good reports from there in years past...;)

G'day Lee, man were you lucky today, not because you caught a wild bass but because I was trawling the pines in Coochin today looking for poachers.

Well done on the fish mate, I keep telling everyone there's no fish in Coochin Creek :laugh:

:laugh:

Regards

Al

Biggles wrote:

G'day Lee, man were you lucky today, not because you caught a wild bass but because I was trawling the pines in Coochin today looking for poachers.

Well done on the fish mate, I keep telling everyone there's no fish in Coochin Creek :laugh:

:laugh:

Regards

Al

Exactly what sort of poachers were you hoping to catch?

Is there a black market in pine trees? :silly:

Rocket

Archived