Sea Bream Run

Dan23

Some time after the first full moon in May I guess. Hard to set a date this far out...

Oh and you've gotta give Kev time to go buy some crazy high end ultra lite soft plastics setup he'll use for one trip then sell on Ebay for a profit lol:laugh:

Dan23 wrote:

benno573 wrote:
after the may full moon is when the fun really starts...

Thanks for that. I just didn't want to plan a trip too early and be disappointed. Any good locations close to Brissie? I know some great spots in NSW where you can see 40-50cm bream cruising around in schools but somewhere like that closer to home would be great.

depends on the definition of "close". best spots i've found that consistantly produce in the 1.5kg+ range are mouth of tweed, fingal head, norries head at cabarita, and off the beach :blink: in the "surf" at the north side of the brunswick river. There is massive potential at north shore bruns as there is a shallow rocky part, a deep channel (rip) and then the rock wall. i have pulled jew and even snapper :ohmy: in off the beach here in mid-winter as well as some tailor of 4kg+:blink: and bream in excess of 2kg are reasonably common:woohoo: . great spot for using big plastics and spinning with slugs as well, however, most of my best catches have come on pilchards and for the jew and snapper live tailor about 35cm long work a treat or live whiting get smashed by anything (even big bream) - remember legal size is 27cm in NSW.

most of these spots are within 1.5 hrs of bris.

sunny coast options are not as vast, mouth of the mooloolah river along the rock walls is great (point cartwright side), off noosa heads, point arkwright and the rocks at kings beach have all produced remorable catches of bream with some welcome by-catch.B)

rock walls at the seaway are ok - tend to get very crowded in winter with people catching tailor. there are some secret spots closer to brisbane that i'm not really keen to mention in a public forum... took me ages to find them. :blush:

Yeah i know the spot well. Last time i was there it was September. A guy was fly fishing waist deep in that lagoon on the north shore you are talking about. He was getting good bream and trevs on fly. He also snorkled a lot in between fishing and said the jew hanging off the rocks were big and plentiful. But being in caves for the most part, extremely diffucult to extract with fishing gear.

Angus

Dan23 wrote:

From what I've read they come out for a look on a new moon under the cover of darkness. Would be fun to have a go for one. Imagine catching a 20kg Jew off the beach :woohoo:

the best i have done land based is 17.2kg... and in the same night my mate got a round house kick in the head from an even bigger one. that may or may not have been off the rocks in noosa NP... ;) just checking my fishing diary - biggest tailor at bruns north wall off the beach there is 5.4kg, biggest bream went 2.4kg, best snapper is 6.8kg (was fishing off the rock wall), best jew 10.1kg. only worth fishing in mid-winter it would seem. i'll be heading down there in winter at least once so i'll keep you posted on that - hope a couple of those numbers go up :woohoo: !!! and yes - for jew land based little or no mooon and a "there but not huge" swell is the go.

gus - the lagoon bit would be awesome on a yak - flicking plastics and alike. as you said though, there is some heavy fish in there that don't like to come out of their hidey-hole... B) well worth a look if you like to snorkel too, maybe you can find all the lures you lose :laugh:

By lagoon do you guys mean when you park up where the tracks lead down to the breakwall you can head West and there's a shallow mangrovey flat? I was thinking it would be good to try there with poppers. Not sure if they've closed it off to fishing there though. Some water very close to there is a sanctuary now and as far as I know it stays that way until you get to Pippies then for a few hundred meters it's ok to fish then it's closed again until you get to the bridge between coean shores and new brighton.

No i mean (and im pretty sure Benno does as well), north of the northern break wall.

Basically it goes from south to north: Wall, River, Wall, Lagoon, Rocks, Beach.

There is a rocky formation that forms a lagoon in between the wall and the beach. So its deffinently not closed as it has nothing to do with the marine park in the river.

Angus

there has been alot of surface action in the canals in biggera waters at night too. really agressive strikes with the fish clearling the surface I cant seem to get the hooks to stick though. i probably had 30 hits last night but only landed two fish on sp.

yeah think i will have to have a cheeky session after work one day next week when the SE is less than 20knots... will probably hit the rock walls at the tweed. my mate who lives at fingal got 3 over the 1kg mark off the headland last night so yeah... :laugh:

Archived