Shark: catch and release?

caty

Hello all,

I am new to this forum but I thought I would pose the question of catch and release of our river bulls. I have seen some research done at UQ that suggested bulls spend a lot of time in the river, and don’t do so much moving in and out. This Leeds to the concern that fishing pressure in the river could result in a large population drop. So here is the question. Do any of you guys catch and release? Have any of you noticed a decline in shark populations. Do you care? Personally I would like to catch a nice bull to throw on the barbeque. but I don’t want to compromise the few resources our river has left! Thoughts????

Mate firstly, the bulls are under no presure. we have seen if anything an increase in numbers not a decline.

However in saying that, i dont condone the slaughter of bullies for no reason. But if your taking one for the BBQ go for it!!

As far as release goes, get a PVC pipe about 1 1/2 meters long and cut two dents in one end. Slide it down the line (line in one dent) into the sharks mouth and give it a firm push (the otehr dent knowcking the hook out). The worst the shark suffers is a couple of lost teeth, however with the rapid replacement of sharks teeth this is not much of a problem. Better then the hook being left there anyway.

Overall point. If your not going to eat them you might as well release. However dont feel bad about taking a feed.

You have come along at a good time as the shark season is just warming up.

Welcome to the site mate.

Angus

Thanks for the reply guys.

I have only recently started to fish in the river. I used to think that there would be no fish in it, or if you did catch something it wouldn’t be fit to eat. But hey, we are happy enough to eat “bassa†fillets from the Mekong, and farmed prawns from all over asia. The first middle river bream I caught was just delicious. Quite frankly I was surprised at the abundance of fish in the river. I hope you are right about the bulls. It’s great to have this site where people are interested in what swims in the river. Buoyed by your confidence, I won’t be releasing my first bull. I have to say what we do in the river must pale in comparison to what commercial fishing does to the shark numbers.

Lets hope we get some rain soon!! As for eating, shark and rays can be eaten. I find rays more of a challenge to get down. The problem is they are larger fish (therefore older) and tend to accumulate heavy metals. You wouldn’t want to eat shark every day no matter where you caught it.

Archived