Over the Ditch- Wet & Windy

Lozzel

Hi All, Well we left Brissy in the rain only to arrive in Auckland at midnight (NZ time) to a strong SW wind and pouring rain, Bloody Great :angry: Stayed the night ,what was left of it, in a motel.Early mornin Glendas neice picked us up and we headed the 300ks down the coast to the Mount.Caught up with some friends and after a few drinks and lunch we checked into our digs (very poshh).Still raining, after 3 days of indoor activities and dutyfree scotch, I needed a fishing fix so it was off to the local Tackle shops.This was when I realised my mistake, rods are too light. The jigheads ranged from 45gm 7/0 to 80gm 10-12/0 and the smallest softie was 7" a tad heavy for our 3-6lb gear.So not much land based could be done and the streams were running too strong to try for trout :(

We had a charter booked to head out on Monday,canceled due to the wether,and not working for the rest of the week due to a Bill fishing comp, tried for Tueday with another guy, canceled :ohmy: Bl**y wether. Wednesday :woohoo: forcast 10-15 were off.

Headed out 25mile great run at 25knts,anchored on a patch and only picked up a couple of small fish.Tried closer to another reef , got onto a good run of fish. Double ups were common Taraki & red snapper :cheer: with some snapper thrown in.

By now its 11.30am and OH how the wether can change 25 gusting to 30+ seas 2.5-3mts and sloopy.

Went to head in closer to shore, Motor wont turn over,:S After I ran a few checks it was def DEAD .In the rough conditions water had entered the engine through the Exhaust and caused an hydraulic lockup . 12.00 am called the coast guard for a tow back in 3hrs later they arrived 2 1/2 hrs later we were back in at the ramp.All in all we still had a very adventerous day.

I will add a few pics and finish off the report tomorrow. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/NZ_Holiday__2008.jpg

post-742-144598447051_thumb.jpg

Don't see trailer boats as charter boats too often. Looks a decent rig though. Bummer about the breakdown and weather but you were not at work and you were catching some fish. Gotta be happy with that.:woohoo: Would have loved to have seen the mako attacking the boat too:ohmy:

Just gotta finish off the holidays in style on SundayB)

The fault with the engine was caused with the new Exhaust System that had just been fitted.

Original exhuast discharged through the side of the boat , the New system discharged through the Transom above the duck board.

The very rough conditions caused the duck board to go in&out of the water.Opening the flapper and allowing seawater to go down the 4" exhaust pipe & muffler. Entering the engine via the exhaust valves.

The Engine was stripped down & cleaned turbo rekitted and was back in the water by 11.00 am the next day. 2 diesel fitters worked all night to do the job.

No boat = no income

Elli; The boat was built by his son 7years ago, local Pro boat builder. 7.5mtr AMF with a 230hp Turbo diesel. Built from 8mm alloy ,good design, rides well,very dry in all conditions (I can vouch for that). Fishs 6 with pleanty of room left over.With the latest sounders & Gps puts you ontop of the fish.

That trip was the first time it has broken down, Also the first time the life jackets were taken out of their plastic bags.

All in all a very good boat and skipper and will be going out with him next trip for sure.

I take it that the mount = mount manganui ?

Place would have been full of yanks and aussies.

They really go out of their way to make tourists welcome over there. Most ports that we visited the local chamber of commerce and tourist office had a lot ot offer. We usually ended up using their services rather than the rip off shore excursions the cruise ship offered.

Sorry to hijack.

But its a great place to holiday.

Cheers

Ray

Archived