Picking up stingrays

Cowfish13

I've seen many pictures of people picking up stingrays on this site and I've wondered how you do it. I've always been scared of the tail when we catch them so we just cut the line and let them go. Is it possible to safely pick them up from a boat, without being hurt via the tail or can you only attemp to pick them up on land?

I dunno about \"the tail does nothing\". Then again, I've only been lightly whipped by it, nothing strong. But it would probably sting a little;)

But as troy said, as long as you don't hold it up against yourself, the barb shouldn't get you. As for picking them up from a boat, if the ray is tired enough and you feel you can swiftly get your fingers in behind their eyes, then you can.

Yeah i have never been to worries about the rays.

As Troy said the barb is pretty much out of the way.

Also as Terry said, by the time we get one in they are pretty tired.

As for pickign one up in a boat, well most i have picked up have been from a pontoon so not so dis-similar.

Anyway, i dont want people getting hurt of this advice so do what you think is safe. But i reckon stay clear of the bard and youll be sweet!

Angus

You can pick up most rays that way but watch out for thee cowtail ray. It really occurs mostly north of hear but some stragglers my be caught around here. The spine from this ray can get you when you hold it by the gills

see the following site if you want to know what they look like

/>http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/psephen.htm

Archived