where and how to fish with my kids?

Watto

G'day guys,

New here, and I'm no expert fisherman, so bear with me! I love fishing, but don't know much about it.

Anyway, I've been fishing a few times with my two kids, 10 & 7. We fished while up at Noosa in the river, and had enough success that the kids really got into it.

A different story when returning home to Wynnum, unfortunately! We've been to the William Gunn Jetty a few times with no success at all, and the kids are starting to get reluctant when I suggest a session. Can anyone suggest better venues around Wynnum/Manly (or reasonably nearby), or better methods for catching? I've never used lures (mostly use prawns or live worms), and I'm wondering if that's the way to go (if not too expensive) - I'm willing to try anything at this point, because I'd hate to think that with two boys, we won't go fishing regularly!

The boys would be cool with fishing off rocks or whatever. I'm happy with my session even if I don't catch anything, but kids these days want results :(

Thanks for any advice :)

G'day Watto, I agree in this day and age kids do want reslults, however just fishing as often as possible with the kids will achieve the results and catching fish is only a bonus. My kids love to fish and I thought they would be bored as well with nil results, WRONG.

My advice on where to go isn't helpful, but if I go somehwere new I just try and follow the locals, normally if the locals are not fishing then there is a reason. Anyway thats's just my 2 cents now go have fun with the kids.

Warmest Regards

Al [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/phpWTJkRgPM.jpg

post-2756-144598448779_thumb.jpg

Biggles wrote:

G'day Watto, I agree in this day and age kids do want reslults, however just fishing as often as possible with the kids will achieve the results and catching fish is only a bonus. My kids love to fish and I thought they would be bored as well with nil results, WRONG.

G'day mate,

Well, to be fair to my kids, they enjoyed quite a few trips with no results before getting a bit over it :blush:

My advice on where to go isn't helpful, but if I go somehwere new I just try and follow the locals, normally if the locals are not fishing then there is a reason. Anyway thats's just my 2 cents now go have fun with the kids.

I am a local :blush: :blink:

Great pic! Cheers, mate!

:)

Beach fishing with the kids I generally end up place I am not likely to catch a fish, as I go places with a bit of sand and reasonable swimming, which usually means no structure or fishy spots! But the kids have a play in the sand and a bit of a swim, so they're happy enough!

Hi Watto,

Actually, we have the same predicament. My boy 15 has no interest at all while the 10-year old is keen although he gets bored after a while.

I would suggest looking up the map and scout around. I'm pretty sure there are unexplored horizons out there. Sometimes those bodies of water by the park are full of fish.

Also mate, I'm new at fishing and loving it.

By the way, my 10 year old kid had his first good fish just an hour ago. He's so bloody happy! In fact, he got 2 this morning! LOL.

And guess what? We're on our way again to find a good spot by the Pine River. :)

EMP

Watto wrote:

I've only ever been beach fishing once in my entire life - where in my area is good for it?

:)

There probably isn't many good beach fishing spots around brissie but if you go either north or south there are plenty of sandy beaches to have a go at. My favourites are the beaches around southport and tugan. there's always a deserted section of beach that is free of swimmers and they usually produce a few fish as well.

Try finding either a gutter, a section of water that is deeper and holds bigger fish like tailor and jewies, or a sandbank, a shallow region in the surf that produces whiting, dart and bream. worms and prawns are good baits for the smaller more prevalent fish while pichards are better for tailor and even the odd flathead.

If there are there, pipi's can be dug out of the sand and also make good bait.

I've been thinking about having a fish down that way. I spotted a small creek at the northern end of Wynumm. Has a shop on 1 side and a rock wall on the other, also a park and pub accross the road.

Watto give that creek a go with some bait, I would try the mouth of it with some tidal flow and that shop, I reckon there would be some good Bream. I could be wrong, but give it a try.;)

Good luck

Jayson

chubbstar wrote:

I've been thinking about having a fish down that way. I spotted a small creek at the northern end of Wynumm. Has a shop on 1 side and a rock wall on the other, also a park and pub accross the road.

Watto give that creek a go with some bait, I would try the mouth of it with some tidal flow and that shop, I reckon there would be some good Bream. I could be wrong, but give it a try.;)

Good luck

Jayson

Thats Wynumm Creek, it gets a little shallow. Certain times of the year you can get Chopper Tailor and Cod from the rocks. The old Wynumm locals also fish out from there on the mud banks for Whiting

Just watch out for Lilly the dolphin, she likes the come in for a feed with her Calf

Try Aquirium Passage boat ramp off lytton rd beside there they just knocked the caravan park down but ther is a pontoon there you can fish off or beside the boat ramp when not busy, 4 friends bait fished there with prawns yesturday and got nice bream ,sting rays,catties and small baby threadys they had a ball.

hello

i'm no expert angler but i'd say the brisbane river always produces ... catfish at least ...

its not near wynum ... but i often go to the river after a few poor sessions...

auchenflower bikeway ... directly opposite the shell station on Coronation Drive...

Snags a plenty ... but give it a couple of hrs ... you could get bream / cod ...

Something of a different suggestion. Some members (Do$tylz springs to mind) fish Gunn Jetty quite regularly. Maybe you could leave the kids at home one night and go with him and suss out some techniques etc. I'm sure he'd be keen to help you out.

Once you've got it sussed, then take the kids along too.

Keep an eye on the "Going Fishing" section of the forum - there's always someone going somewhere that'd be happy for you to tag along.

Welcome to the site and good luck:)

ellicat wrote:

Something of a different suggestion. Some members (Do$tylz springs to mind) fish Gunn Jetty quite regularly. Maybe you could leave the kids at home one night and go with him and suss out some techniques etc. I'm sure he'd be keen to help you out.

Once you've got it sussed, then take the kids along too.

Keep an eye on the "Going Fishing" section of the forum - there's always someone going somewhere that'd be happy for you to tag along.

Welcome to the site and good luck:)

That'd be awesome, mate :cheer:

Manly rockwalls mate, dawn and dusk are the best times naturally, have caught heaps of tailor (in the winter its easy to get 20 for a morning), plenty of flathead (had a few heartbreakers over the 70cm mark all released) and have caught the occasional Mackeral as well. I use unweighted gang hooked pilchards.

Plenty of bream to be caught off there to if u want to fish for them.

Further up towards Lota on the track past the yacht club entrance a lot of whiting are caught.

Used to be an old stomping ground of mine until I moved to Runcorn so I know if fairly well

Between Wynnum creek and the Wynnum jetty is a lot of gravel/weed/sandy flats where some people dig worms. Depending on how big the tide is for 2 - 3hrs around high you will pick up bream plus a the odd catty, flatty, shovelnose or ray.

Yabbies, live worms are the choice baits around there with hooks to suit them. You don't need to cast a long way so don't need much weight.

Gunn jetty, fresh small hering or hardiheads this time of year work well, half pillies or mullet flesh also do ok. Fish close to sturcture with lightly (say 00 ball) weighted baits and let them drift down slowly to the bottom. Bream are the main fish, cod and moses are regulars as well.

Wynnum jetty, have a look at the eastern edges at low tide and see where the snaggy areas, fish these a few hours either side of high water. Similar baits to Gunn for bream.

White Island ramp rock wall, similar baits to Gunn again. Fish between high and low water marks towards the top of the tide and be prepared to lose hooks to snags bream and cod.

Quarantine station, near the moreton barge fishing into the brissy river. Go out to the port turn left at the first traffic island or before the servo, then right then left and follow the road down to the river. Fish the same as White island but easier on smaller rocks.

Other options include mouth of Lota creek, the point at Manly boat harbour, south wall of the harbour near RQYS.

None of those spots will set the world on fire but are reasonable options for a fish in rough order for beginners, with a chance of a few keepers.

Jeez.. Waldo pretty much has it covered. Well done mate.

But yep ,i'm at the gunn pretty regularly.. You'll just find that some nights are on there, some nights are really big duds. Its all luck of the draw there unfortunately. But yep, I'll post in the "going fishing thread" next time i head there, and if you would like to join us you are more than welcome. We're no pro's, but we're ok :)

Also, during low tide if you head towards the lota side of that stretch of road, just outside the fish and chip shop (can't remember the name of the shop) you can park there and walk out onto the flats. Theres a decent creek that runs out to the ocean. Take a yabbie pump, or prawns or worms, and walk the creek towards the ocean. Go around 300m or more along the creek and have a cast. Should be able to get at least some smaller whiting and bream to keep the kids entertained. If you're lucky you should also get a nice feed of whiting or flathead to keep for dinner as well.

Good luck mate, and keep your eye out for me. I'm usually wearing my AFO shirt.

winters comin up, get a torch and a few squid jigs, find a jetty like wello or somwhere and have an evening probing the high tide with a torch and a jig.

great fun the kids should like it too.

I know Wello , the gunn and shorncliff and other jettys around Morton prouduce a few squid in the winter months as well as some whiting and bream.

trick is to get a n0 3 or n02 jig and when you spot one gently flick it in their vicinity so they see it but not to startle them and they will grabb it pretty quick then haul em in, I must say they are a great meal absolutely beutiful eating.

Regards

I also think it doesnt matter so much "WHAT" kids are catching as they are catching something :P

Brisbane River with some Squid or prawns for Catties is always a fun option when you are going purely with the idea of getting anything. Anyay you can always get surprisingly good quality by catch when tagerting catties ;)

Angus

Watto wrote:

I was just about to ask how I'll recognise you :)

Thanks guys - feel quite encouraged now, and the school holidays are approaching :D

Mate you can also spot me with the big hair :)

But I'd recommend low tide at Lota. The kids will have fun with the yabbie pumping to start, and then enjoy the mud walk along the creek. Just get them to wear some sandals or old sandshoes that they can get filled with mud. I just went on Friday and had to cut my trip short due to a meeting between my big toe and the sharp end of a whelk. No dramas for an adult, may be a drama with kids.

Archived