Barumba 21st

pcsolutionman

I decided not to camp up at barumba for the night with Terry but Myself, Biggles, Nodds and my brother all went up for an afternoon session on friday. We were all supposed to meet at the BP just before the Nambour exit but terry was stuck in Traffic heading up from Brissie, so we the rest of us headed off without him and planned to meet up again on the water.

Got there to see the usual Ski lice ripping up the main bassin, unperterbed we setup the yaks and made our launch. The plan was to head up to the sticks and work some SB and diving minnows until late in the arvo when we would turn to the surface for some action.

Biggles Trying to sneak up on Nodds

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/barumba/imgp2943-web.jpg

My brother not being a regular paddler was tired before we got halfway there so being the good big brother I am I said Id give him a tow :blink: , he tied his rope on and I thought ok this is easy. the peddles in the hobie have so much torque you really dont notice that much.

Jamie Laying back getting a tow

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/barumba/imgp2976-web.jpg

Well that was until both Nodds and Biggles decided to jump on for the tow :ohmy: :silly: :blink: :dry: :angry: :angry: and the worst part was I couldnt really do much about it lol the rope was tied on right at the back of the adventure, So I had to tow all 3 of them the last klm or so lol.

THe others getting a free ride (if you ask Biggles it never happened)

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/barumba/imgp2984-web.jpg

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/barumba/imgp2986-web.jpg

At this time we saw Terry in the distance paddling towards us 10 mins later he was with us.

So were finally at the sticks and casting away, Biggles and I both had hits on our spinnerbaits but failed to hook. I think we both need to be running stingers hey:S. I lost a couple of skirts as well. it took a couple of hours before a fish was landed and it was Biggles with a nice little bass (Terry has pics). I then saw a Toga in behind a tree take something off the surface :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: peddled over and cast the spinnerbait right on his nose t cranks of the handle and im on OFF DAMMM. reeled back in to find he had hit the large blade on the SB and ripped it clean off :angry: :angry: Not Happy Jan lol.

not much action for a little while except a couple of sightings of Lungies. we then switched to some surface lures. I was throwing an ecogear popper and a Jitterbug slowly working our way back out I got a good hit from a bass on the jitterbug but failed to hook :dry: not my day i thought. 2 mins later and I spooked a Toga up in some shallow water when I cast the jitterbug right on his nose, had a heap of casts but couldnt get him interested, I called Terry over and he had a few casts with his Strike King Mini Buzz bait third or fourth cast the Toga had 3 goes at it comming out of the water trying to nail it but didnt hook :angry: :angry:. that was it from that Toga no more chances. 20M further up Terry is throwing the Buzz Bait and a Bass did the same thing comming clean out of the water chassing the Buzz Bait but again no hookup. We continued trying until after dark, Jamie Landed a bass in the mid Forties on a Bubble pop and lost a small toga after it threw the hooks jumping and Nodds lost a massive Toga going around 80cm on an ecogear Px45, he had it out the back just sitting i the rod holder while he was taking photose when it just went off but by the time he got the rof out of the holder he had thrown the hooks:angry: :angry: .

This Really was a day that could have been, only 2 fish landed but so much fun with loads of action, Luck just didnt go our way :(:(. We did however all have a great time with as much laughing as fishing going on

On a brighter note Terry Stayed up there the night and fished saturday, Nodds got a Message from him Saying Bass and Toga landed :woohoo: so I am looking forward to the PICS

:woohoo:

heres a few more pics (all photos curtesy of NODDS)

Jamie telling his best jokes trying to make terry loose ballance while retreiving a lure

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/barumba/imgp3008-web.jpg

How could you not enjoy yourself with scenery like this

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/barumba/imgp3014-web.jpg

Lee

Great day out and looking forward to the next one, and no way did any Hobie tow my Prowler:woohoo: , how come there is only one pic of Terry in the trees, that's where he spent most of the afternoon:laugh: :laugh: . Thanks for this invite boys, and go the old blokes B) .

Regards

Al

Lee sort of covered the first arvo off pretty well. - Lee , can't remember what I said to nodds, but no toga. maybe he misread my dropped a 50ish msg?

I headed out at 5:30 am Saturday morning and headed out to the same spot.

Equipped my now favourite mini buzz bait and started flicking at some banks and logs. About 5th cast in boof! That's alright, some action already! Cast same spot again.. boof! Damnit no hookup:( again.. nothing. again... boof! Hook up! yes finally I think...

But wait, there's a vertical piece of timber there, and the fish swims behind it :angry: Anyway, manage to pull it back around easily enough and I boat a nice 30-35ish ?? cm bass. I continue along this bank with numerous hits but no hook up.

Then I get to the rock wall section just before the main sticks in the little bay (Lee you'll know what I"m on about, I think)

I flick out th elure again... it sinks a little then I start to wind it in... bzzzt bzzzt, oh this is a much nicer one, it can actually take off some drag! (unlike that little one before) bzzt hooks pull :angry::( I reckon that was upper 40s, near 50s for sure.. :( I continue to flick around the banks with numerous strikes but no hook ups.

I would have had easily 15 or more strikes with only the one solid hook up. If only I had a stinger on me, I would have got heaps of fish I reckon! Next thing on the to buy list: stingers.

Saturday arvo:

I decided to head over into the sticks up the back of the dam. So after a nice 3.5-4km paddle (I think it was about 3.8) I reach some nice looking banks and start flicking. about 3rd cast at this one particular spot I get a nice hit and solid hook up. Nice! this one is taking a little bit of drag, after a short tussle a nice 44cm bass was landed. Woohoo! Not massive compared to some dams, but it's a new PB:P Then I didn't get another hit for the rest of the night. Managed to lose my minibuzz bait though:(

Pics to come

Edit: Check out the noosa report!!! When I get around to doing it up.. I'd say the drought is over:P

Cheers mate. I just wish I had a stinger, - although you look at the mini buzz and go, its small enough.. surely it wouldn't need it? haha

But yeah, each hit gets the blood circulating:)

Edit: I might have only caught 1 fish Saturday morning, but having that many hits etc was so much fun... I was having a great time :D

Archived