AFO Articles

Schultzy

I was sorting out the contents of my hard drives recently and realised I have millions of words in hundreds of fishing articles stored within. This is the result of writing for various magazines for about 15 years.

Instead of them staying unseen in my archives I thought that they may contain info of use to some of the AFO members.

If you have any particular topic you'd like to see posted let me know and, if I have a suitable article I'll shoot it off to Angus and John for perusal and possible uploading.

location articles from years previous. but say put winter articles now so better planning on species and techniques. Am trying to suss out the pine but get very limited fishing time. I read a report now then in 3 weeks when i get to fish it is irrelevent.

Sounds like a great idea Schultzy.

Anything and everything on Murray cod is always a great read.

Techniques for the waterways we can all get to are probably the most useful (but not always the best;) )

While we're on this topic I have a question on Murrays I've been asking intermittently for about 10 years without an answer. Hopefully you may know.

Is there a way the average angler can tell if a cod is female ?

Still being rather new to brisbane and with winter approaching I'm keen to learn a lot more about Jew fishing and what other species to target over the winter months. Techniques, lures, baits, tides etc etc

But whatever you decide, I'll learn from it anyway.;)

Thanks

Jayson

Ellicat,

No, there is no reliable way to externally determine the sex of a Murray cod.

The fisheries biologists insert a catheta and take an oocyte sample.

Female cod grow much larger than males but unless they are full of roe it is impossible to visually tell the difference. It is even harder in impoundment dwelling fish because of the good condition factor of both sexes. ie. both have big fat bellies.

Schultzy, Mate your writting is easy reading so please post em as you have em.

Do you have anything on "leaders, trace lines and flurocarbon v' mono". That red stuff you put me onto is fantastic.

Do you have anything on the Albert and Logan Rivers? Pine Rivers?

Schultzy wrote:

Ellicat,

No, there is no reliable way to externally determine the sex of a Murray cod.

The fisheries biologists insert a catheta and take an oocyte sample.

Female cod grow much larger than males but unless they are full of roe it is impossible to visually tell the difference. It is even harder in impoundment dwelling fish because of the good condition factor of both sexes. ie. both have big fat bellies.

Thanks for that Schultzy. Previously I'd asked Starlo (no response) and a southern Uni who didn't know:ohmy: :huh: (although they helped with some other stuff).

Brian D wrote:

What have you got on Tarpon?

More specifically tarpon in the Albert?

More specifically again, fluke catches by Aaron.:P :laugh: (Just kidding aaron, I'm jealous but I gotta get one).

:P :P :P :P

Fluke yes, I thought I jagged a mullet, however Albert river Tarpon

Deckie: 1 skipper: 0

:laugh:

Aaron H wrote:

Brian D wrote:
What have you got on Tarpon?

More specifically tarpon in the Albert?

More specifically again, fluke catches by Aaron.:P :laugh: (Just kidding aaron, I'm jealous but I gotta get one).

:P :P :P :P

Fluke yes, I thought I jagged a mullet, however Albert river Tarpon

Deckie: 1 skipper: 0

:laugh:

Ohhh ouch the pain :S :angry: Tried this morning for 3 bass no tarpon. :S

Schultzy, would a request for list of topics be a little to imposing?

Brian,

Were talking about 15 years worth of articles that were published in Bush n Beach, Fishing World, Barra & Bass, Freshwater Fishing and others. Most of which have unrevealing file names on my hard drive like "FW-Sept96" and similar. It would take days to put together a list of topics.

I've enough ideas from this thread to keep me busy for a while though.

Again, always willing to hear specific requests. I won't have avery topic on file though and don't have a wide range of location stories. National editors discourage those articles in favour of tactical pieces that will appeal to a wider readership.

• 2 months later...

I have quite a few articles still to post. Some by members. It takes a surprising ammount of time to format piccies and lay it out right so I have not had a chance to do all of them. Stay tuned though as there are more coming.

Angus

Archived