colledges crossing sat 5/4

jeff f

had an early start and only a couple of hours work this morning so idecided to go over to colledges for a quick look when i knocked off at 6.

there was absolutely no surface activity but i thought wtf couldn't be bouthered taking the r2s bubble pop off and commenced to chuck it around was getting no interest at all except for a couple of stupid wood ducks that kept following it in,:S kept mooving and casting down toward the bridge not realy expecting much but enjoying the peace and quiet

i cast out into the current and let it wash the lure down under the bridge, just as i blooped it past the first pylon it got smashed big time.:woohoo:

the little mitchell avocet was screaming as a good fish used the current against me and peeled off about 20 meters of 2pound line and i gave chase as it turned between the pylons and headed for the other side:ohmy: . i wrestled it back between the pylons and got a glimpse of a really dark back as it took a second shorter run up the eddy and back into the current, at this stage i'm thinking bloody catfish:S , ah well its a bit of fun:)

i got it back out of the current and it made a couple of short

lunges back toward the fast current then gave up.

well you can inagine my surprise when up comes the darkest, almost black, flathead i've ever seen,my first on a popper:woohoo: went 54cm on the stick and came home for breakfast

walked out the other side of vthe bridge and fired a few casts at some rocdks in the middle nada them discovered the mud wouldnt let me go any further

there were a couple of nice looking snags on the side i was standing so i fired out a ling cast and let the line settle into the current and pull the lure across the river to a couple of meters past the snag and started to work the popper up to the snag

as the lure came past the snag something decent took a swipe and missed so i let the current take it back downstream again

and twitched it slowly back up to the snag

it was about a foot past the snag when it got demolished in a huge swirl and screamed back into the snags and broke me off

s i decided to head home for breakfast [img size=499]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P4050023_AFO.jpg

post-422-144598451224_thumb.jpg

thanks guys it made my day

i was talking to a couple of guys inthe carpark as i was leaving who said they had been getting alot of good flathead out there on green and yellow spinnerbaits

and that one of thier mates had got a nice little jack undder the bridge last night

wonder if thats what stole my popper

Jeff when I was there land based a guy was saying there are a few Jacks its just that no one targets them.

Also on the same night we got at least half a dozen little flathead in the cast net so there is a decent population.

Combine that with the 100% confirmed threaddies, tarpon, bream and bass and you have a pretty sweet little stretch of river!!

Angus

Lucky man :P

I keep making it a priority the dedicate more summer days to that reach between Kooka and Colleges. It just never happens :(

Things I want to achieve there:

* Theaddie From Yak.

* Wild Bass.

* Bully from Yak.

All very achievable things, just need to do it!

Next summer Angus next summer....

Angus

Archived