Boat Licences

Feral

Well booked myself in for this Sunday down at Scarborough to get my boat licence. The course is going to cost me $150, then I have to sling Qld Transport another $40 odd.

Course runs 7:30am to 4:00pm, and includes both classroom and practical components. Should be a good day!

Things have changed from the \"do a figure 8 and she'll be righ\"t days. And I am glad.

The course is well worth doing - you probably know most the stuff but when I did mine I learnt heaps and I still rely on some of the stuff I learnt, it keeps me out of trouble.

However I still get the special markers mixed up, even when I got the book in my hand and I am staring at the thing - got no idea.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/10/05 20:17

Guess what Brian,

4 hours in the class room, run a compass bearing, emergency stop, then do a figure 8, negotiate the channel into the harbour and a manouver up to a pontoon, an hour or two of map reading and it was done.

Good fun out in that chop today, with a 7m boat and 200horse outboard.

Yep 16 it is for a licence. $150 for the course, $35 for Qld Transport for the privelidge of putting it in their database.

Special markers are easy Brian they are the yellow ones!

Cardinal markers musta had some boofhead come up with that system!

Did not get a feed Brian :( unless you count coffee and biscuits, but they did have a couple of buxom young lasses in the class to help time pass. Pity the \"man overboard\" was cancelled, the boys had already decided they would be the volunteers in their nice white T Shirts!

The bloke running the course works with the VMR, and he reckons if the fishing is quiet an amusing afternoon can be had sitting near a ramp with a carton of beer, watching the boofheads on the ramps. I'd believe him, saw 2 idiots in action while we were there, one broke a roller off his trailer trying to drive the boat on the trailer, then spent 10 minutes blocking the ramp while fixing it. Next bloke pulled his boat onto his trailer, then parked half way up the ramp and procedded to wash down his boat, also blocking the ramp.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/10/08 20:20

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds about right, but as you dont actually get a physical licence to look at, cant remember what it is called!

Whoops just remembered they gave me a letter detailing my licence types.

It reads

Particulars of Queensland Marine Licence - Recreational MDL

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/10/22 10:46

• 8 months later...

Yes it does go on to your drivers licence now,replaced my licence early this year[stolen wallet]double checked after problems with a motorcycle endorsement a few years ago.On my stepsons Learners permit as well.

Have been told that boat licence ages will be affected by these new licence requirements for L & P plate drivers can anyone tell me if this is true?

Will check up on it, as I was thinking that some people will not have a vehicle licence but have or desire to have a RMDL. By having any contact with QTransport you have a Customer Reference Number to attach the RMDL to, but do they give you some sort of licence to carry though.

Will get back to everyone with it.

No they dont, nor do you have to have it added to your drivers licence, I did however on the last renewal. I also have the original confirmation of licence laminated because I have no intention of showing my drivers licence to DPI or Rangers.

QDOT have an on line inquiry service where people who need to know you are licenced (IE boat hire company) can find out, cost $5, was an article in the latest Bush N Beach.

Queensland Transport have a list of suppliers on their web site, a couple of the Brisbane companies do the rounds of the western areas regulary, There will be someone who does them, probably fortnightly, on one of the local dams if you have one power boats are still allowed on.

Otherwise come down to brisbane for the day on a weekend, quite a few courses run every weekend.

I can foresee that in the future there will be demerit points involved with a boat licence and now that it is endorsed on the actual drivers licence it will be easy to introduce. I think it would be a good thing as it will mean idots are removed from operation.

Archived