My first HB set - Come in and discuss about it

Hi all, after gathering all the info from you guys, I have sum up what I need to buy:

Berkley Dropshot 2to4kg $90

Shimano Sedona 2500 $95

SX40 * 4 $60

6lb Briad fireline (White/green?) $23

8lb fluro leader (Berkley) $17

TOTAL $285

I will be buying that in BCF, hope they can give me some kind of discounts. Is this a good set to start HB fishing?

Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions :lol:

Yeah, that's a great starting point. Believe it or not I'd consider that fishing pretty heavy but that's a good thing as you'll probably save a few lures and avoid busting off too much. :)

That said 4lb fireline is pretty strong no need to go the 6lb really. 4lb fireline probably breaks around 15lb in reality. I'm basing that on the recent modern fishing mag where it said 4lb TD Sensor Braid actually broke at 10lb and that braid is way thinner and weaker than fireline.

namyau wrote:

Mack_attack wrote:
yeah jeryl is selling sx40's for $10

yep better hurry before his sale/discounted price goes back to normal or if he sells out of them all hahha

Man if only I didn't just buy 2 more rods today I could have bought some more!!:cheer:

That looks like a good set up mate.

As for braid scissors, I recommend you pick some of the braid scissors in the AFO shop. They're the best you'll come across. and aren't expensive either!

As for colour sin sx40, I'd say 305, 307 or 338 and you'll be catching plenty of fish around bris.

hey there those setup are very fine but i think you can go a bit lighter on the fireline say from 6lb to 4lb, because it would enhance your casting destance, and might get an extra pack of leader of 4lb when the fishing is quiet, sometime all you what you need to do is downsize the leader ;) hope it helps mate.

yeah the 338's are a popular colour I think, but I have a soft spot for gold coloured lures somehow, I've only just gotten into hardbodies so the jury's still out on gold coloured lures but the 338's are a good bet. Since you are getting 4 you could get 1 in each colour and see what works for you...

Hey

Sounds good, but I would rather go a 1-3kg rod, especially with throwing sx-40s. I used to have the 2-4kg dropshot and found it a bit stiff for casting the lighter lures. and look for something a bit longer than 6'6. 7ft is a good length, really helps with the longer casts when fishing HBs.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Posted this in your other thread...

QUOTE:

Berkley Drop shot 1-3kg would be a great first rod and should be about $89. Matched on a Shimano Sedona 1000 and you'll have a nice outfit. Buy 4 Sx40s in 307 off Jeryl some 4lb braid and 6lb leader. You may go over the $200 mark but it'll be worth it.

I have this exact Rod and Reel combo (x2) and have found it a very capable outfit. Don't be afraid to fish with the 4lb braid, with a bit of patience most fish are landable. The Sienna's I have don't like anything more then 4lb braid on them for some reason, I have had 6lb & 8lb on them at some stage and had no end of dramas with wind knots.

Checkout this thread http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&catid=10&id=29840#29840

That Giant Trevally was taken on 4lb braid with 4lb leader and went just under 3kg on the scales however it did take about 20min to land it

if you are thinking of getting rods and reels seperately i think the mojiko range at anaconda are worth a look at, plus they are having 60% off on the mojiko rods so they are cheap as chips and i feel are pretty good graphite rods. they have ones for luring with a line weight of 2-5kg and others which are worth a look..

Archived