Which reel?

Hi people,

Due 2 being a cheapskate the last few years :laugh: I have finally had to make the decision to lay my trusty old Sedona 2500 to rest :( . On the upside however I have decided to upgrade to a better reel. At the moment my price range is $200-$300, and I'm mainly eyeing off the Shimano Twinpower series (1000 or 2500) and the Daiwa Sol (2000 or 2500). Has any1 had any prior experience with these reels, heard anythin about 'em, or have any preferences over them, are there any better reels in that price range?

Any info would b appreciated :cheer:

Both reels are good, People who like shimano will buy twinpower, people who like daiwa will buy the sol. Its up to you IMO. But I prefer Sol's, I have used both reels and i just prefer the sol, Both reels are fantastic though so u cant go wrong either way. Ohh and i would go for a 2000 size reel either way.

Both good reels mate.

I personally prefer the Twin Power and have the 1000FB and the 2500FB, but there are certainly plenty of Sol fishermen on the site.

I think personally they are extremely similar in most factors, and it probably comes down in most cases to what you used first.

Oh and some show ponies like the colour of the Sol :P

Angus

whatnow wrote:

go the sol

both reels are pretty much excatly the same

but sol has a extra spool

plus i have a sol and its great!!!!!!!

and also sol 2500 istn that big and is still pretty light but stronger and that then 2000

Both my Twin Powers came with extra spools as well...

Another reason I like my Twin Power Better than say my wifes Freams Kix (almost identical to a Sol), it to me it feels "tougher".

This is most likely phycological, but when im plastic fishing of the rocks at Straddy i just feel better using it. In saying that i have only used a 2000 sized Daiwa and would love to give a 2500 Sol a crack.

Angus

i was chatting to dan and paul about this when we went to newstead. IMO shimano's feel as angus said 'tougher' and more solid whereas Daiwas IMO feel a tad hollow if you know what i mean. IMO daiwa are smoother cranking than shimanos but shimano's feel a lot more rigid under drag.

In my opinion if the Twin Powers no longer come with a spare spool thats a massive shame. It is a competitive market so its a fairly short sited thing to do. However I must admit i RARELy use my spare spool with any reel even if I have the best intentions and its sitting there spooled ready to go.

Picture: Shimano Twin Power 2500 and typical Straddy rock bream.

Note the structure in the background. You want to feel like the gear is light enough for breaming but still tough when fishing there. [img size=300]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Bream3.jpg

i havnt felt a good light shimano reel but while ive been using the sol its felt great very smooth winding and smooth very strong drag imo but which ever reel u buy fishing cherry it will be good and u wont be disapointed

and sols look better:woohoo::laugh: :lol: :silly: :P

They are both pretty much identical IMO.

I've got the Twin power, my brothers got the Sol (both 2500). I reckon that the Twin Power feels tougher, but the Sol is definately smoother (not saying that the Twin Power isn't smooth though).

Both have got pretty much the same drag capabilities. The Twin Power is more compact, but it is like 20grams heavier or so.

I think the arguement of Twin Power vs Sol will never end unless one goes off the market:silly:

Yep it pretty much comes down to whether your a Daiwa or Shimano Fan. For me, I went with a sol and have had it now for almost 2 years and its still as smooth as when I bought it. Its an awesome reel, I also own two Daiwa Airities and The Sol is smoother. Its great value for money.

Cheers

Cowfish13 wrote:

His price range is $200-300. The Luvias is $400

A Luvias would be nice though.....:cheer:

not if you buy from overseas. but yeah as someone said the new twinpower is out in japan and if you ebay it they are around the $300 shipped to your door.

Angus wrote:

Both good reels mate.

Oh and some show ponies like the colour of the Sol :P

Angus

Yep both good reels no question about that, I have 3 Sol's 1x 2500 and 2x 2000 and think they are just the ducks guts, I had my last one delivered with a spare spool for $195, so if you are going to get one from oversees, just checkin here and ask who's placing an order that way you may be able to combine the freight. I also have a Steela 1000FB and I must admit it is smoother than the Sol, but when you are talking value for your dollar I just can't go past the Sol, IMHO.

Oh, and Lee wrapped my last rod in orange and silver to match the Sol, so I guess that makes me a show pony :blush: :P a show pony with a custom built rod that is :P

Regards

Al

both are fine. Twin power's drag is way smoother under the pressure of a good run but the daiwa real 4 reals have a nice mechanical feel in their cranking whereas the twin power can feel a little disconnected. Bail arms on the daiwas are much smoother though. Shimano's feel more robust.

I'd buy either one really.

I bought a luvias 2000 from bass.jp and its fantastic. I orrdered it online at 11am on a Friday and it was on my desk the following Monday morning. It cost me $285.

I had been previously tempted by both the sSol and Twinpower. Take your time and look around.

Thanks guys for all the info re: TP and Sol, much appreciated. Listing towards the twinpower (sorry daiwa fans :) ), hard to drop a brand like shimano when i've used them for 13yrs....hopin to add a TP 1000 to my arsenal later around June as well matched with a very light TCurve Flight rod....cant wait!

that will be a very awesome setup. in the not to far future i will be adding either the 08 tp or sustain fe matched to a jdm spec rod - im still deciding what to get so yeah, but good luck and with what ive read about the new tp it will be awesome

I have a new 08 Twinpower 1000 - well, last time I saw it, it was sitting on my rod that had just a reel seat and blank:P

It looks and feels amazing, but then what doesn't brand new? I don't remember seeing a second spool, but truth be told I don't usually use that second spool so it doesn't worry me. It comes in a full blown carry case as well :P A much better one than the little woolen cover for the stradic.

Visually I think the new twinpowers are awesome. Can't wait to get my new setup and give it all a good test out on some big toga, yellas or cod :D

Archived