Straddie

Brian D

Headed for south western side of north straddie shark fishing and testing motor.

Pulled in 1 bull shark, 1 school shark and 3 rays. A bit slow - got there at about 6.30am and came home at about 9.30am.

It was so bloody windy I got bounced around like a floater getting flushed, but got home safe. Moreton bay can be a dangerous place some times - I had a wave break over the bow in the middle of the bay and the boat tried to pig root on me. Maybe that's why I was the only boat on the bay!

The bully was a bit under 4' from head to toe.

I got it on the 800 T Shamino with 50lb mono and 80lb wire trace hooked with a 9/0 big gun.

Bait was 2 times frozen pillys & Squid soaked in tuna oil.

Not much of a fight till I went to stick it with the gaff, I missed of course and it tail slapped around the bay for about 2 - 3 mins before I could get another shot at him. Cut him into steaks and gave some to the neighbor, saved some other bits for the crab pots and eating the rest. Got about 20 steaks on quality.

note to self - sharpen the gaff you goose - sharks have tuff skin.

Lucky you did not take a big gutfull of water on board!

I reckon I might get me one of those automatic bilge pump switches for just such an occassion!

Trying to find the bilge pump switch whilst trying to keep a boat with a tonne of water on board heading into the waves is not fun!

Got grandkids yet Brian?

Just tell the missus you want one of those little waterproof digitals to keep handy for taking photo's of them!

Ray got his Olympus (you know the dog chewed one on the TV add) fof Ebay for $350 Australian at the door, thats about $150 cheaper than the best price we got quoted when we bought one for work.

Archived