Banana Banks

Brian D

Went to BB's at this day - dropped off some pots but no legal blue's.

Also chased some Bulls and Schoolies but all I got was Shovels, Rays and Spotty Macherells.

Got some big stuff but gezz it was bumpy.

I needed a deckie - Had two shark rods hit at once - One was heading to Couchie and teh other heading to Aminity Point. Have a look at the size of this mother - about 8 foot. This is the one that was heading to Aminity.

[img size=463]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/000_0036.jpg

post-118-14459840206_thumb.jpg

Yeah will do Angus - next time I want it to rain :laugh:

Actualy Marek was going to come but we didn't communicate - then my wife was gonna come but it was too windy. So I ended up solo. But who's complaining.

I am also still running in the motor - which by the way is going great now - boat is better then ever now.

You say that it was 8 foot or so (and I believe you, looking at the size of the shovelies head:whistle: ) and that is a Estern Shovelnose Ray not a White Spot Shovelnose Ray. Cause if it's an Estern Shovelnose Ray, that is twice the that this \"Wildlife to Moreton Bay\" book, that I have, says they get to. The book say they get to 1.2m. You might of had a World Record, or a Moreton Bay record or something:cheer:.

reef_raider wrote:

where abouts is banana banks, like how far out and if you dont mind could i have GPS co-ordinates. also what do you usually catch there???

thanks, reef_raider

Mate it's just between Straddie, Maclean and Couchie and it's the same spot where I got all the bullies and school sharks last year.

Other catches I have there are lemon sharks, snapper, trev's, mack's blue swimmers, grinners, taylor, whiting, emperor and flatty, but mainly sharks.

Cowfish13 wrote:

You say that it was 8 foot or so (and I believe you, looking at the size of the shovelies head:whistle: ) and that is a Estern Shovelnose Ray not a White Spot Shovelnose Ray. Cause if it's an Estern Shovelnose Ray, that is twice the that this \"Wildlife to Moreton Bay\" book, that I have, says they get to. The book say they get to 1.2m. You might of had a World Record, or a Moreton Bay record or something:cheer:.

Mate here's another look at it, to give you a size that's a 2' wire 80lb trace hanging out it's mouth. I have had bigger then this last season (sounds a bit heady but true) - so I wreakon the book is wrong. Gezz they are fun to hook at that size cause they fight so hard - every time you get the bastards to the boat they take off again. [img size=499]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/000_0033.jpg

post-118-144598402072_thumb.jpg

Thanks wolf

My boats 14' and I have had them nealry as long - I say 12' and probably about 100lb.

Believe it or not!

How I stopped the bastard was I tied the rod off to the transom, pulled up the anchor and let it tow the boat around the bay for about 30mins. Crap it was fun. I had onlookers and passer by's all hooting and laughin. Every time I got it cloose to the surface it splashed and bucked. It was awsome. I still smile thinking about it.

Sounds awsome. Up in tincan bay we caught 4 or 5 that were 1-1.4 metres in length and they fight very hard on light line. We though that we had a trevally or something the way it was fighting.

Imagine a 9 footer:whistle: on like 10lb line.

Oh and the White-spotted Shovelnose Rays get to 3m (10ft)

Well I do reefer I'll get em next when I go up to the boat, but I gave you a bum steer.

It was actually the Pelican Banks not Banana.

Although The Banana banks (in front of Couchie) are good for school sharks I have not caught any Bully's there yet.

try 153'24 E 27'34S - it's like a horse shoe shape in the bank with a deep hole about 26' at low tide.

or Map 83 Beacon to Beacon 6th edition F5

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/10/17 20:26

• 2 years later...

Archived