Replacing guide on rod tip

mangler

Well I had a bit of a shed tidy out and general fishing gear maintenance session this afternoon. Anyway I noticed that the last runner on the very tip of my Silstar Powertip 8 ft rod with Fuji guides is missing the plastic runner ring thing, all that is there is the metal frame that it would normally sit in.

I'm assuming that it wasn't like this from the factory, and got sent into orbit a while back when my 15lb leader snapped whilst trying to coax a very, very large (read bloody massive) sting ray to come up onto the bottom platform of Baxters Jetty at Shorncliffe a so I could retrieve my hook that may have cost me all of 20 cents? Oh well that will teach me for being lazy and not wanting to tie another hook on.

Anyway, my question to all you wise and knowledgeable fishermen is this, can I just get the plastic ring thingy from a tackle shop and squeeze it back in there, or do I have to replace the whole last guide??? If I do have to replace the last guide will a tackle shop be able to do this for me and roughly how much would it cost me? If so which shop would be able to do it, I normally frequent Jones' Tackle at Lutwyche, but on the odd occasion venture into Charltons if I'm over that way for work.

Or alternatively is there anyone here on this forum around the western suburbs that would be able to help me out for appropriate payment??? I am in Kenmore.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Mate replace the whole guide easy to do yourself

1. use a lighter to heat the guide take it slow and steady this should loosen the glue use a small pair of pliers to pull it off

2. use a scalpal to clean up the area,

3. get a guide to fit, probly best to take the rod with you,

4. glue on using 5 minute araldite. thats it done just make sure you glue it straight

Lee

Thanks Lee, that's awesome, didn't realise that it was so simple! :silly:

Here I was thinking about all the knot's I'd get myself in trying to replace it myself, thinking they were binded on there with thread like the rest of them, :ohmy: Makes sense now doesn't it, they just slip on and are glued on over the tip, :blush: protects the end of the tip too...

Thanks again,

Matt

Archived