help on building a home made boat trailer

dunney

hewy guys is there any plans out there on how to build a boat trailer? or has anyone out there done one before?and also places to get the parts?such as skit pads.i no wear to get the rollers from and also all the axle's,bearings, hubs etc..just mainly chaising a mud map on how to do it?

im fairly skilled at welding and have made a few box trailers but no boat trailers....the trailer will be for a 4m boat so doesnt have to be super heavy duty.

(this is to suit my new boat is my current boat gets sold with the trailer (see for sale section)

you will need to get on the transport department website and download the rules and regs for building a trailer. they are pretty strict, was going to do one myself but the plans I had were useless as they did not meet the rules.

there is a few shops around that sell parts for trailers like mudguards and axles etc. just google or yellowpage them for your area.

burko

one hint when you build is to make the tubing watertight and add a couple of bung holes around the place, you can then fill the thing up with old oil and it won't rust out from the inside.

Mate, have a look up the thread I posted a year or two ago when I rebuilt my boat, also includes building the trailer. I'll see if I can find it and bump it for you.

Pretty easy to make, just need to get the balance right.Easiest way is to start with an old trailer or two, that way you have wheels, axles, maybe guards, tow hitch, and most importantly, and old number plate for when you want to get your old trailer re-registered ;)

When you go to register it you have to self access it so all you do is say that it is home made around 20 years old . ( The self access forms say how old it has to be)This way you avoid a lot of the current adr rules. ( Just having an old 13inch holden rim in its construction means its old and you just rebuilt the rest of it.Nod Nod, Wink,Wink.

You do not have to give an old rego number .

All they are interested in is that the lights work and that the axle is correctly placed.

If the carrying capacity is over 750KGS that is a different story.

Cheers

Ray

i built a new one from scratch a couple of years ago now. used 75 x 50 x 5 mm box section for the side rails and cross members and 50 x 50 x 4mm for the other bits. as the cross members were welded all way round to the rails, i drilled 3 big holes on the underside of them to let the gal in and so i can get the hose in to wash properly. i used parabolic springs other than leafs and have found them unreal. all bolts etc are stainless. where the springs sit on the bottom of rails i got some plastic chopping board material and cut to size, then drilled and countersunk them to take stainless bolts, i drilled and tapped these into main rails, just had to run the tapping tool back threw after gal dipping,they have not worn at all, the same procedure was done on the skids. i used 4mm checker plate as guards and put little steps in the corners,then welded them directly onto rails, very strong.. i also put lugs for tie downs on either side made out of chain link cut in half and welded in place,these were positioned on the inside of rails, also put 2 of these on back for tying motor down for traveling.

i had old trailer to get basic measurements from but could have made the drawbar a bit longer, for better access to back of wagon while boat is hooked up but its not too bad..:)

use good quality stainless bar for the rollers and stainless splitpins. will take some pics today and post them up for ya to have a look mate... this is one strong trailer..:laugh: :laugh:

Maxi

geeeeez mate i forget exactly. my old girl is a heavy old tub and iv e had it full of camping gear etc with no trouble at all.. from memory i think there was 3 ratings and they are the middle ones.. so probably around 1000kgs.. i think..

Maxi

saltshaker wrote:

wear did you get those skit plates from?i have been chasing the blue plastic ones for ages but cant find them

If Alstonville is a bit far ;) (sorry Maxi:P ), I got some put on mine a few months ago from Coorparoo Marine. 33974141

Try these guys out never used them myself,bought a trailer instead of fixing the old one but the online catalogue is pretty good.www.alltrailerspares.com.au

As far as mud map goes why not go down the boat ramp and take some measurements of the ones you like?Mines smaller than you need but I doubt most people would mind and if you ask around I'm sure people will tell you what they like and dislike about their particular trailer combo and that will give you a little more info along the way.

Glenn

rayke1938 wrote:

When you go to register it you have to self access it so all you do is say that it is home made around 20 years old . ( The self access forms say how old it has to be)This way you avoid a lot of the current adr rules. ( Just having an old 13inch holden rim in its construction means its old and you just rebuilt the rest of it.Nod Nod, Wink,Wink.

You do not have to give an old rego number .

All they are interested in is that the lights work and that the axle is correctly placed.

If the carrying capacity is over 750KGS that is a different story.

Cheers

Ray

spot on Ray, did that with the mx bike/canoe trailer,

Archived