northpine: DWB rockwall

benno89

hey guys went down to dwb again this arvo and decided 2 try sumthing different from wat i usually do down there, which was try usuing a few livies, i dont have a cast net so i just went n bought a bait jig, only mannaged a few herring of the pontoon but better than nothing. i decided to use them 2 the right of the boat ramp, had one in for about 10mins didnt even notice any bits because of the gail force winds, but when i wound him bak up he was chomped in half which was a good sign, i then chucked another in strait away then as soon as it hit the bottom bang, it was fitting like nothing i have ever caught before after about 5mins trying to get it in it snapped me of, i was thinking either a cod, or a big fingermark maybe?? possibley a jack but i highley doubt that, but apprt from not landing him was a good arvo lol :)

It wouldn't have been a Fingermark as we don't get them this far south. You were probably refering to Moses Perch though, but the bigger ones tend to move offshore. I would probably say a Shark. What was the bite out of the first one shaped like?

Well done aon the strikes though:) Better than I've done on live bait:dry:

Nice work mate, had a similar bust off last week there, (well my mate did on my gear), on a whole ganged pilly. I first thought a dirty fighting flathead, but after reading this not too sure now??? By the way, we castnetted a few herring off the pontoon there, but we didn't get any nibbles whatsoever on them, might have to have another go with them now.

Uglyfish, It's not far from Strathpine mate, you take the strathpine exit, and then ya go over the highway (head east) and turn left onto Kluver road, which runs alongside gympie rd for a while, go over the gateway and keep following the signs to the deepwater bend boat ramp. The ramp is marked in the refidex, maps 99 and 100 in mine. Just watch out for the snags in close by mate, plenty of rocks.

Cheers,

Matt

even the small jewies tend to swallow baits whole i thout, well thats what my one and only one did.

It could have been a tailor biting the back half of your herring, they often do that, was it a big herring?

your lost fish could have been anything really...school jew, big cod, big flathead..theyre all known to be there, just pretty rare.

benno89 wrote:

yea well the herring that was chomped in half was almost like it was just teared in half really rough looking???

sounds like a crab got to it

but what busted you up on the second cast, seriously it could of been anything that gets big...

Archived