BAN ‘CATCH AND RELEASE’ FISHING

stingray

Its an interesting article, as we already have laws based on a similar premise.

I don't see how governments can enforce legislation which makes 'intent' illegal.

The Australian fishing laws that do exactly this have been around for quite a while now.

IE Targeting barramundi out of season or Mary Cod (in its natural habitat) anytime is illegal and can get you fined, whether you have caught a fish or not. All the Inspector has to prove is that he (he being the inspector) believed you were deliberating targeting the fish.

What makes catch and release fishing so contentious is the use of ultra light gear, and the associated playing time and subsequent exhaustion of the fish. The DPI have had a policy on catch and release for a while stating that ultra light gear should not be used, the fish should be captured and released as quickly as possible.

So dont be surprised if that policy sooner or later becomes a law in some form.

i can actually see the logic in that. i dont know if banning catch and release altogether is the right thing to do, but i know a guy who catches dozens of salmon in the river on incredibley light line. he says they bareley ever live and he doesnt eat them so its just a waste... hardy fish like bream and bass though i dont think are affected as much...

i would rather get upset at the idea of an islamic only school...

i think those ppl believe catch&release's cruel to the fish? so they think it's better for the fish if it's caught and killed rather than released to be caught/injured another time. or that they want a very very healthy population of fish so they don't want any fish that's been hooked to be released back into the population. apparently, hooked fish r more likely to develop disease stuff.

apart from those 2 reasons, i cannot think of a single reason why catch& release should be banned. and even those 2 reasons sound stupid.

ultralight fishing's definitely more harmful to the fish and most fish taken on too light line will die sooner or later. that's why i'm always fishing heavy, lol

To be honest guys there is some slight merit to what theyre saying. Dont get me wrong i mainly catch and release as i dont eat fish.

but there is evidence that certain fish really dont handle what can sometimes be a long, drawn out fight, then being brought of the water, sometimes accidently for too long for some photos, then plunged back in. Super light line is great for the sport of it (and our egos) but you can tire out many fish to much by doing so.

From some research ive seen, bass, yellowbelly and bream survive quite well, as long as time out of water is minimal. but there are others that dont.

Now i dont think a ban is the answer at all. Maybe just some effort from anglers on minimal out of water time, and for larger fish, like big barra and big threadies, maybe (and dont shoot me) dont take them out of the water for a photo op. Beside the boat in the water still looks cool, and is better for them. And also youve got to remember how some fish are released. Ive seen many anglers gaze lovingly at the fish for a photo, then literally thro the fish back.

Now once again im not agreeing with the idea there. But maybe anglers need to remember just because you throw it back, doesnt mean it gonna be ok.

Yeah I reckon its a pretty stupid idea. But yes, When targetting big sensitive fish ie Threadys, that can tire and die easy, its a stupid idea to use light line if you want to release them. Should use heavy enough gear for a short, fun fight. And keep the fish out of the water for as short as possable then swim the fish, and if caught from deep water ive heard deflating their swim bladder helps alot...

Archived