First boat - Advice

millerjo

Mate, I just got back from Coorparoo Marine. They are stocking a new range of Viper tinnies that are the ducks guts and are going for a song. For about $7000 you can get a 4.2m with a 30hp on the back - walk away (or drive haha). They're about 2m wide and the roominess looks sensational. Ideal to run around the estuaries and bay.

Considering the 5 year warranty on the motor you'd have to be getting a pretty good deal to go secondhand in the same sort of range.

I had a good look at the vipers at Coorparoo Marines stand at the tinney and tackle show and I agree with elicat they are the best buy around. The hulls are well built and finished. Dont think you can do any better than that.

You also couldnt find a nicer or more honest bloke than Michael who is the owner.

If you are low budget I will be selling my old dam boat which is a old flared bow quintrex on a unregistered trailer for around $500. It has 2 cracks in the ribs that would need welding if you were to put a 15 or 25hp on it but for estuary or dam work and a smaller hp I wouldnt worry. For and extra $50 I would get them welded.

Cheers

Ray

I would be keen on a large Tinnie, but i would be worried going outside in something that small?

Would you guys feel comfortable out in the bay in something that small?

I was thinking something like 8k-10k, would it be worth getting a old fibreglass with a newer engine?

Josh

What boat did you get from Kratzmann's StraddieBrad?

For 8-10k a 4.1 polycraft would be worth looking at. They have a similar ride to a glass boat and are practically indestructable. The latest QFM has them advertised for $8960 with a 30hp.

there is no way i'll ever go out in a polycraft again

they are way to light,it was like riding a cork in a washing machine in the slightest chop bounced and slapped worse than a tinny

sorry terry but they ride nothing like a glass boat

bigtez wrote:

Which model was that Jeff? The new Brumby rides very well however being there latest model you would expect it to be better then the rest of them.

couldn't tell you mate it's about 3 years old center console with a 50 on it. was brilliant on smooth water but the slightest chop and it was all over the place

First boat i would look at aluminium or poly. They are tuff, certainly have their disadvantages over glass but tough.

You can treat em like shit. Rough docking on Jetties. Bad launch and retrieve at boat ramps. Rocky bottoms.

A great sort of boat to learn the finer points of boating.

when you are more proficient then start lookinf for comfort. Ie Glass.

Thanks Guys, i will certainly be focusing on ally and poly hulls.

i did however see this on boatpoint...
/>http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2931750

I know its glass, but it seems to be neat and tide with an older 50hp....

it also seems to be good value for money if everything is working properly.

josh

Jordan wrote:

what do you guys think? there are alot of these sorts of boats on the market and i have considered one a few times. old fibreglass half cabins with old-ish 50-70 hp. are they reliable?

The way i see it.

the old hulls if in good nic can be fantastic and very cost effective.

Old motors. depending on where you want to go with it. Cant exactly call RACQ if your 60k off shore. Weather can reaaly get nasty very quickly offshore so a reliable motor is the go.

Get the outboard checked over very thoroughly beofre you purchase.

If you do have an old motor then joining the VMR is probably a good idea. I think its about $90 for the first year and half that every year after. That gets you 5 hrs free towing but you will probably need a radio of some description in the boat.

bigtez wrote:

If you do have an old motor then joining the VMR is probably a good idea. I think its about $90 for the first year and half that every year after. That gets you 5 hrs free towing but you will probably need a radio of some description in the boat.

Good advice.

Also remember that if you are a memeber of VMR Southport, and that if you breakdown at Bribie the VMR's do do have reciprocal rights.

It would get very expensive belonging to everyone on the coast.

Archived