My ReFit has begun.....First run results posted

bigtez

I have started refitting out my Ally Craft 395 Shadow. I will try and include as many details as possible here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Firstly why am I refitting it out?

Since extending the casting platform about 12mths ago the boat has sat very nose down at rest and with me fishing up the front by myself it is a common occurence for a passing wank boarder boat to give enough wash to come over the bow.

The boat is also very slow onto the plane with 2ppl in it. So the plan is to move as much permanent weight, batteries and livewell, towards the back of the boat and shift the drivers seat forward using a side console.

Also when fishing 2up I have to leave the bimini top at home, not really the best advertising for a canopy maker. By putting in the side console and 2 smaller live wells, front and rear, I will be able to leave the bimini top on the boat. To see what I mean have a look at this boat, http://www.boatcanopies.com.au/Sports%20Biminis.html.

The staring fitout can be seen on the front page at www.boatcanopies.com.au

Terry

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shrimpo wrote:

wank boarder, LOVE THAT TERM! Lol Looks seriously mad with that canopy, Is that holding rods? How are they held in place?

The bar in the middle of the canopy has a quick release pin that lets you lift it up on one side. I have had 8 rods in there on a trip out without them rubbing each other. I will be doing a similar style setup but will have the rods going sideways.

Feral wrote:

I find a simple beach umbrella stuck in a rod holder is the lost versatile shade you can have. Covers the individual well, easily removed for all round casting.

Ssshhhhh. You will send me broke telling everyone that:laugh: You cant realle hang a set of curtains off a beach brolly though. So on those cold wet wintery mornings you have to suck it up rather then sit in a nice sheltered enclosure.

Terry

Got the console in and dummy fitted the seats to see how much room there is. It will be a bit squeezy getting in the seats but not unbearable. The console is a bit rough at the moment, it will be getting a layer of fibreglass over it and covered in vinyl.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_5295.jpg

post-1326-14459845975_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dimo n Chubbstar.

The old floor was 17mm Formply so I don't think I will be adding much weight, if any. I have also removed the subfloor that was under the rear deck and half the front. Will be interseting to see how it ends up going affter its all done.

No lean seat. I did have one and found it more of a nuisance then a help. There isn't quite enough room up there to walk around it comfortably while playing a decent fish.

When the refit is done I will have some bits for sale. Once I figure out what left over bits I don't need I will post them in the for sale section. There will definately be 2 seats (buckets or folding), 2 cushions (with flames) and a cowl cover for a 25 Merc Sea Pro (purple with green flames). Possibly a VHF and bait tank as well.

They will either be the ones pictured above or a pair of plastic folding Bermuda (brand) seats that have had green with purple piping/edging put on them. Will depend on wether or not the buckets are to heavy or not.

Terry

I have ordered one of these this morning. Should hopefully make getting the right motor height a bit easier.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_8782_200002007_200000000_200002000_200-2-7

I also ordered a few other bits as well like this livewell timer that is less then half the trade price of one from BLA.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_896_200003005_200000000_200003000_200-3-5

I would assume the alloy would be covered in carpet or some sort of decking. With the ply glassed on one side and coated in resin on the other it should with stand a hosing now and then. The other problem with alloy is the carpet generally isn't wrapped underneath the panels so it will eventually peel at the corners.

i will be wrapping mine under the sheeting..i was just wondering thats all..i will be using ally i think btu origionally i was goint to use ply like you (and there may still be a ply deck if i feel the need to do it over ally..but you and i have almost the exact same boats so it will be good to get ideas from one another..also if your gonna sell your folding seats pease let me knwo im pretty keen..my order goes in for all my gear on the weekend.(seats,lightind,carpet etc)

if i was to use aloy for the decking id weld it in and create a sealed floor for safety but its loud cold/hot and uncumftable to walk on id go ply for the average tinny as it has a bit of give, reduces noise and vibration and is easier to screw to having said that a self draining deck would be awsome in any size boat as i like my castnetting . just my two bob worth

jason

A clip in carpet can solve that problem Ray, however when there are a lot of hatches in the deck that means lots of clips which can also be a point of corrosion.

Another advantage of ply is that it will need replacing at the same time as the carpet. It is a much less frustrating job to carpet new boards then it is to remove an recarpet old boards/hatches.

A box of goodies arrived from BLA to day.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_5345.jpg

post-1326-144598459913_thumb.jpg

saltshaker wrote:

i will be wrapping mine under the sheeting..i was just wondering thats all..i will be using ally i think btu origionally i was goint to use ply like you (and there may still be a ply deck if i feel the need to do it over ally..but you and i have almost the exact same boats so it will be good to get ideas from one another..also if your gonna sell your folding seats pease let me knwo im pretty keen..my order goes in for all my gear on the weekend.(seats,lightind,carpet etc)

I have decided to go with the buckets so the foldin seats will have to go. Looking for $100 for the pair. They were recovered not long ago. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_5347.jpg

post-1326-144598459915_thumb.jpg

Archived