X Trail V Forester ?

Rocket75

We are thinking about trading up from our 05 Subaru Impreza GX to something a bit bigger. The new Impreza doesn't have the storage space of the one we have, so it's not an option.

Not looking for a "proper" 4wd for serious offroad, but more so a comfortable, safe and adaptable SUV to pull the tinny, take camping and use day to day.

Have been happy with the Subaru to date, and we like the style of the new Forester X.

As an alternative we have been looking at the Nissan X Trail ST.

They both seem fairly similar accross the board and at this stage it could go either way. We are going to test drive both in the near future.

We are probably going to sell the Impreza privatley to take trade-ins out of the equation.

In the market for a used Impreza? Let me knowB)

Anyone out there own either of these in the new models, or have an opinion either way? Appreciate your feedback.

Rocket,

On paper both are quite similar. Both 2.5lt engines generating almost identical horse power and torque. Identical fuel consumption figures too.

Personally the Forester has a slightly better interior fitout and is a nicer ride.

Forester is also 750kg lighter.

Thanks guys, didn't expect such a quick response!

Shortie, from those articles it seems like quite a few people have trod the same path before me. Both those reports pre-date the release of the current models, so I'm not sure how many of the points are still valid, but it was informative non-the-less.

Shultzy, I'm not sure on that 750kg diff...seems extreme.

I looked up the two sites and the Xtrail is 1525kg (Tare) and the Forester is 1475 (kerb weight). Am I comparing apples with apples?

I did see another figure for the XTrail that was 2100kg (GVM), but I believes that pertains to the max weight fully loaded?

You may well be right about interior, we have seen the Forester in the flesh, but not the XTrail as yet.

Ray, I'm hoping that the new model has fixed any failing of the old, but I will check with BD as suggested.

Kriso, would that be in line with the log book services? As a new car and to maintain the warranty I would be doing whatever they say, so I hope so!

Thanks

Rocket

Hi Rocket MY brother in law had a xtrail when worked hard in soft sand the automated 4wd system over heats and turns itself off and all you could do is stop and wait 10 mins or so for it to cool down but it would heat up again very frustrating. His new car is the Kia Sorento so far a good preformer off road and tows his van easy

i had the same debate a little while ago and ended up with a prado! :P

i personally preferred the forester overall, the subaru feels better on the road i believe. but i couldn't buy it owing to towing the boat. the forester is unable to take more than 80kg downforce on the tow bar (suspension issues, would have to replace back shocks, too many $) so make sure you check that. i test drove both, couldn't really fault either on performance, comfort etc. off road they will be very similar also, not great but good enough. maintenance wise, i found very little difference overall in service costs, tyre use, fuel consumption etc. all in all, either car will be very capable, but just check on the downforce of your boat on the bar. mine is 105kg so no forester for me!

Feral wrote:

Getting rid of the Impreza to buy either of those?

Rocket. go fo the one who throws in the "socks and sandles" for free!

:evil:

Bahahahaha:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Funny as!!

Also funny is that it came from the man with a Camry :whistle:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Feral wrote:

Hey fair go Ellicat! no need to air MY dirty laundry!

At least you didn't mention the Rio.

The Charade is my race car, dont admit to the others!

Does the Charade still have those lovely pink seatcovers that match your purse?:P

:silly:

I too have a forester and have been extremely happy with it.

If you do get a forester pay the bit extra to get it serviced at subaru and it will last for ever. The only problems I have ever heard of people having with foresters is when they get it serviced on the cheap. For example I know of a freind that was opting for the cheap service and they put in a non genuine thermostat that cooked the engine as it wasnt opening and closing at the right temp.

when i priced factory vs non-factory there wasnt that much difference.

I guess thats cause i talked them into giving me trade price.

The subaru where i get mine serviced have been excellent and very helpful so im more than happy to pay a little bit extra. Especially when mates have had major problems with non-factory servicing for subarus and those non-factory services dont include alot of things subaru do.

id go the forrester hahah but it would have to be the turbo model hahaha.have you thought of the mitsubishi RVR - they are imports and about 10yrs old but very good - awd,turbo lots of space, rear seats fold down to a bed average price around $14000 for the top model with around 60000kms

if it matters look at resale value. Both suby's i owned (first forester then 3.0 outback ) I only lost about 5% value over 2 years. bloody brilliant cars just needed bigger that's why we now have new prado. Uncle owns an x-trail hasn't said too many nice things about it.:blush:

Rocket75 wrote:

Thanks guys, didn't expect such a quick response!

Shortie, from those articles it seems like quite a few people have trod the same path before me. Both those reports pre-date the release of the current models, so I'm not sure how many of the points are still valid, but it was informative non-the-less.

Shultzy, I'm not sure on that 750kg diff...seems extreme.

I looked up the two sites and the Xtrail is 1525kg (Tare) and the Forester is 1475 (kerb weight). Am I comparing apples with apples?

I did see another figure for the XTrail that was 2100kg (GVM), but I believes that pertains to the max weight fully loaded?

You may well be right about interior, we have seen the Forester in the flesh, but not the XTrail as yet.

Ray, I'm hoping that the new model has fixed any failing of the old, but I will check with BD as suggested.

Kriso, would that be in line with the log book services? As a new car and to maintain the warranty I would be doing whatever they say, so I hope so!

Thanks

Rocket

sorry mate been real busy, yeah im talking about log book services, the subaru will be more expensive to service with majors been a real kick in the nuts, the nissan would be cheaper to service, from what i have heard from other mates who have worked at nissan dealers the early x-trails where shit boxes. the new models like gus's are pretty good. either way i have contacts at dealers of both manufacturers so can put you onto someone when you have made your decision.

• 3 weeks later...

The decision has been made and the deal has been done.

Pick up a new Forester next week.

Test drove both cars, they were both comfortable and practicle, but the Subaru had a better level of finish and was easier to drive.

The X trail was like a shrunk down "big" 4x4 and maintained a bit of a "tank" like feel. This was because of the overall square profile and smallish rear windows (that limited vision and made it feel more confined inside).

The Forester felt like a bigger Impreza and the only thing that gave away the fact you were in a larger car was the higher driving position.

Overall, both cars were much the same dimensionally and offered similar features, but for us the Forester won the day in a photo finish.

Happy with the deal we got (EOFY great time to buy) and look forward to delivery!

Thanks for the help all.

Rocket

Archived