braid v mono

millerjo

I've just ordered a new overhead reel and plan to rig it up for use in the bay, i would be chasing tailor, snapper etc.

I understand the different between mono and braid after reading a recent issue of bush to beach, however i am undecided on what to go with in the circumstance.

I was thinking 20lb Braid with a 40lb mono trace...

any thoughts?

Depends on a few of things...

Are you planing on using lures or bait? For lures, braid is generally better. For bait fishing, mono is usually easier and just as good.

What depth of water? If only the bay (say max of 30m), a good quality mono will be fine, but if you were going to use it offshore in depths 30m+, braid is preferable

Hope this helps:)

• 4 months later...

sorry to dig up an old post. my old man used to take me fishing as a little one, and i've just recently taken it up again on my own.

we've always used monofilament line. i've googled around and searched for braided line; and it seems to be a lot thinner, stronger and less 'stretchier' than mono. is that correct?

i was always under the impression that you wanted some degree of stretch in your line. could someone give me a quick run down on the pros and cons (based on personal experience)? how does it effect casting distance, feel of the bite, etc.

is this the new trend? and should i be stripping my mono and running out to go by some of this 'fireline' braid that most people on the forum seem to mention?

cheers

Eug my opinion is it's probably not a great idea to pull mono off an older rod and reel to go to braid. There are complications with braid that are avoided if you specifically decide to buy a full outfit to suit it.

Being non stretch bites are much more noticable as is the fishes movements during the fight. Stretch is still essential with braid but the give is introduced by using a softer rod and a good length of non braid leader to absorb shock.

There are uses for braid with luring its best but you really need to think about changing you whole outfit lest you be disappointed.

I use exactly the set up you mentioned for the river and bay 20lb braid and at least a metre of 40lb vanish flourocarbon leader joined with an albright knot. I find a decent length leader gives you ample stretch and good insurance against abrasion as braid is strong but can be cut easily. The heavier leader 40lb is probably more than most anglers use but I like it incase I get a 1m+ thready I know its sandpaper mouth wont wear it out. Most of my fishing is done live baiting.

Eug wrote:

is this the new trend? and should i be stripping my mono and running out to go by some of this 'fireline' braid that most people on the forum seem to mention?

cheers

my 2 c :D..

in 1999, i replaced the 6kg mono on my abu 6500c which was the 1991 sprint model, already in a very used condition and a 6kg ugly stik with the appropriate 6kg fireline.. it was way beyond what i expected. and is still on that reel, 9 years later.. and it could still be used. buts its recently been retired... worst experience was getting a deep cut from the different way the line moves over a finger, courtesy of a tarpon eating my flesh bait instead of the pike i was expecting.. BUT all in all .. do it .. braid FTW

I always use braid now on my rods from flicking plastics for flatties, to burying big baits in the deep. I find the two major advantages are that as there is virtually zero stretch you feel all the bites and tugs. The second advantage is that as it has a smaller diameter than mono it flys through the air better giving increased casting distance and also when fishing deep it cuts through the water better giving less line curve due to the water pressure.

All up a better way to fish, but dont rest your rod against the back lounge in the boat as when a fish grabs it and runs the braid cuts straight in...... trust me!

from 2m - 150 + meters of fishing I have never known anyone that has gone from mono to braid....then back to mono. Unless there trolling lures.

braid is so sensative for the first few times youll simply mistake hitting the bottom for bites. you can even feel the tiny little peckers going at your bait.

Archived