fresh squid?

millerjo

• 10 years later...

Ever considered investing in a few prawn shaped squid jigs , visiting the local jetty or wharf , and catching your own ?

This is the very best way to get your squid.

Just drop them in big bucket with a bit of water in it and then take them home and drop them into freezer bags and freeze them (while they are showing the spots) and you'll have much fresher squid than you'll ever pick up at a coop or fish-shop or bait shop.

This is what I've done to keep myself stocked up on squid (for whole baits for jew, and strips for snapper) since the early 90s.  Plus it's great fun when you get onto a patch of squid. 

16 hours ago, The fessor said:

Ever considered investing in a few prawn shaped squid jigs , visiting the local jetty or wharf , and catching your own ?

This is the very best way to get your squid.

Just drop them in big bucket with a bit of water in it and then take them home and drop them into freezer bags and freeze them (while they are showing the spots) and you'll have much fresher squid than you'll ever pick up at a coop or fish-shop or bait shop.

This is what I've done to keep myself stocked up on squid (for whole baits for jew, and strips for snapper) since the early 90s.  Plus it's great fun when you get onto a patch of squid. 

I hope he found the squid he’s had over a decade to do so 🤣ricky gervais laughing GIF

sorry couldn’t help my self. Good info tho

On 03/06/2008 at 2:41 PM, millerjo said:

anybody have a northside location where fresh (unfrozen) squid can be purchased?

Hey just a question.

Do we import uncooked squid?

Do they say it is imported when you buy it?

I am only asking because I am worried that this could be another problem like white spot. 

A good mate of mine used to use prawns for bait. He bought them from fish shops before the white spot thing. He has stopped now. 

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Hey just a question.

Do we import uncooked squid?

Do they say it is imported when you buy it?

I am only asking because I am worried that this could be another problem like white spot. 

A good mate of mine used to use prawns for bait. He bought them from fish shops before the white spot thing. He has stopped now. 

Yeah a lot of the bait squid you buy, brands like lunds etc is import from California 

On ‎4‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 1:12 PM, jon said:

Yeah a lot of the bait squid you buy, brands like lunds etc is import from California 

Time that practice was stopped IMO . 

We have plenty of local prawn trawlers who might like to fill the gap in supply and yes less chance of introducing unwanted deseases to our local fish stocks.

Archived