NPD - 6th June 2008

mangler

After having a bit of a rough week this week, I decided some fishing was needed, so started work early today & knocked off at 11.30. Then it was decided that a freshwater lure session would be the go. Decision time, never been freshwater fishing around Brissy narrowed it down to two choices, Brissy river upstream of Mt Crosby Weir, or North Pine Dam. Ended up chosing NPD, getting there around 1.

Got to Forgans cove, walked down and started flicking a purple spinnerbait around for about 20 minutes, a few hits, plenty of snags and plenty of surface action to keep me keen, but no hookups. So decided to try a surface paddle style lure for a bit, again a couple of hits, but no hookups. Although i did manage to hookup to two old lengths of snapped off line, so it was good to get that out of the water & add to my sinker collection in the process.

So after about half an hour here, headed up to Bullocky's Rest to see what was there.

Met up with some fella's that were having a great session and were pulling bass after bass in on spinnerbaits, so chucked the spinnerbait bait back on and had a few casts, with some hits but no hookups, so wandering the bank, I decided to change lure, to a Dam Buster, made by Eddy Lures. Third cast with this one had a great strike and hookup. My 6lb mono and my drag was telling me it was something alright, so after a couple of minutes of fighting I caught a glimpse of a nice yellowbelly,however he decided to get stuck in some grass, so out I go, fully clothed to get him out. Had a bit of trouble getting the treble out, but did so in quicktime, and a after a quick measure (49 cm) went to release him. I swam him for a while and let him go, he swam away slowly, then went belly up, so swam him a bit more, still no luck. So left him close by in the hope that he would swim away, but still no luck so had to keep him. Seeing as I was planning a catch and release fish, I had no esky or ice, so after this had to call it quits, to go get some ice to put in the bucket with him to keep it fresh.

It was a bit quiet for me on the fish scene, but was a great way to finish off a week, and ended up with an unplanned feed as well.

Cheers,

Matt

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC03683_AFO.jpg

post-2878-144598460521_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dino, It was a nice sized fish and quite tasty as well, but would have preferred to let him go to catch again later. After I finish my exams in 2 weeks I might have to have a fish with you one day Dino so you can show me how to get those NPD bass :)

Cheers,

Matt

Big effort to get two sets of trebles through that grass, I was catching enough of it yesterday with the spinnerbait's single hook!

Those yellas start getting chuncky at that size, nice catch.

Wild NPD...Snakes yesterday, an echidna today, what's tommorrow to be?

Rocket

Congrats to everyone getting in to them at North Pine dam!

Rocket, I reckon all these reports of stonker Bass and yella's means there might be a sighting of the wild Angus beastie at north Pine shortly..... It is only tempted to come out of its natural yak habitat when there is such an abundance of fish caught from the bank, only happens once or twice a year!

Rocket - Yeah mate, was a bit of an effort, but the perseverance paid off. I had heaps more snags at Forgans with the spinnerbait than I did with the HB at Bullockys actually.

Feral - That was my first time at NPD, I was suitably impressed and It definitely won't be the last.

Plastic Fantastic - Yeah seen that when you posted your report yesterday, you fellas were going well. Least we'll know for next time.

Cheers,

Matt

Archived