Small Baitrunner Ideas

I am looking to purchase a smaller bait runner as I only have a Shimano Big Baitrunner and a Shimano 6500 baitrunner which are a bit big for chasing bay squire and bream. I am looking at a Okuma 3000 baitrunner.Can anyone give me some feedback if the Okuma's are okay or any suggestions of other brands?. I am looking to spend up to about $300. There is a smaller 3500 Shimano baitrunner but it feels quite heavy to me which I don't like.

Any input would be appreciated

Cheers

Scott

my wife has a 10yrold shimano aero bait runner rear drag which has been an awsome reel still in great nick despite a real workout over the years

i have a large okuma bait runner its a little heavy but a good strong real none the less but i cant see it lasting as long as the shimano still very good for the money

My wife has a small Okuma Epix 20 something she uses for casting plastics.

Must admit im less than impressed, I know its not a high engineered casting reel and is more suited to the bait runner application.

It doesnt cast braid all that well, its clunky and rough to use, the drag is sticky and its pretty badly corroded.

With mono it may be better

I bought one okuma baitrunner when they first came on to the scene and it was so good I bought a second one. I have only just retired them recently as they no longer suit my needs and were treated pretty harshly. They come with a lifetime guarantee nowadays I think. I can highly recommend them. Mine were around the $100 mark each and were the 3000 size, can't remember the model name though.

They are pretty tough the Epix's Ray lost his over the side at Kooka during the last classic, fished it back out a couple of hours later when he was lucky enough to hook the line.

As far as I know he did nothing but start using it again, did not strip it down or anything, still going strong.

I have the Shimano 3500 on a Taipan 7' rod and although I haven't caught a ripper of a fish on it I have been told that you won't find a better reel for reliability! Davo's up in Nossa reckon they have baitrunners that are still going strong a decade after abusing them. I was told to get one for yakking because more saltwater abuse!

my 2 cents

batty

Archived