Logan River

Woodlaz

Gday,

Have been fishing the logan land based the last month or so (waiting for tax return to fit a towball on the new van). Has been quite productive with the bream. It went quiet last weekend due to the rain but it has cleared up a fair bit since then. To my amazement, since friday I have caught well over 15 mud crabs (on the line and landing net) but out of the 15 there has only been 2 legal bucks (relatively empty). I can only think that the recent rain washed em downstream and they have been making there way back for the winter hibernation. Has been fun and i also saw a guy land a 50cm jewie on live worm within 5minutes of him casting, yet i was there for 5hrs and got 3 bream grrrr. Thats fishin i spose and i congratulated him on it (jealous as hell i was).

Cheers

Woody

i find at this time of year most of the muddies are empty as they generally moult around the end of summer time after breeding. the water has remained reasonably "warm" for this time of year which probably has a lot to do with your success as well as the recent rains, which serves to disperse their food source from the creeks meaning they have to get active and follow it. you may find they start to slow down soon owing to the recent colder snap we have experienced.

also, there are jew and threadfin in the logan river. if you can get your hands on them, live herring or diver whiting are gun baits for them. you'll find livies are left alone by the crabs a bit more as well.

good luck!

Archived