Starlo Lures

Thanks for the heads up paulmanisello ;)

Your post gave me an idea, how about everybody put a brand name or lure etc that doesn't work so that the members on this site don't buy a dodgy product:)

The idea would be to help people making a choice when buying tackle so they don't get ripped off. I'm sure we've all bought something that did look good and saved us a couple of bucks but turned out to be crap and we needed to buy what we originally wanted all over again :silly:

One to add to the list any thing from "forsyth" off ebay.;)

Funny ive only heard good things about bushy and starlos lures if thats what your talking bout

Got a no name lure at one off tweed tackle shop once, cost like 6 bucks, swam like a joke. But all kmart cheapies i have got have swam fairly well, just bad hooks and crack easy.

username_taken wrote:

Mack_attack wrote:
Your post gave me an idea, how about everybody put a brand name or lure etc that doesn't work so that the members on this site don't buy a dodgy product:)

Sounds good in theory, but I've seen forums sued and closed down over that sort of thing...

Dont the terms and conditions state that whatever you post is purely the opinion of the poster and not the board.

Those lures aren't the same range as the bushy "stiffy" range. I haven't used them but I took a look at them and they appear to all be blatant copies of other lures. The thing with that is most of those original lures don't just work because of their shape, they have internal weights and are made out of specific materials to create their action. So whilst the Starlo lures might look like the more expensive ones I'd be sceptical as to whether they would perform to the same standard.

If you're after cheap lures that work, stick to the proven ones like Halco, Predatek etc and beware of cheap imitations.

UNT is right. Disclaimers are pretty weak and at times completely useless.

As for being sued for defamation, I can't see a problem with negative comments about a lure or type of lures providing they are truthful. You can't get (successfully) sued for saying the truth that is of interest to the public.

The Whirlpool broadband forum was sued last year by a software developer claiming loss of income after a couple of threads went on and on about how bad his product was. The lawsuit has since been dropped so maybe there were no legal grounds for his accusations.

I think to start compiling lists is getting a bit malicious and that everyone should do their research before they spend huge amounts of money. :)

I agree with tacklebox that compiling lists is a bit malicious and may expose this great site to unwanted legal action.

I think it is better to maybe use the tackle and accessories section and ask for reviews on a certain product as opposed to adding a product to a list of bad products. Some times the lure is a dud, sometimes the whole brand is a dud and sometime, just sometimes, the user is not informed on the best way to use the lure.

example

As an example, if a person buys a zara spook or puppy by heddon lures and casts it out and retrieves it, it comes back in a straight line. That person may be inclined to then go onto a forum and say this lure is a dud and is a waste of money and add it to a list of bad products. Other website members would then read this and think that they had better stay clear of the product.

However if a review of the product was done by several members of that website, they could then all put in their reviews. Readers would then benefit from the collective knowledge of the group and learn that, the zara spook has a particular action that must be imparted into it for it to work. By using the rod tip, a walk the dog action is produced and the lure becomes productive.

By using the second option of a review, a more balanced opinion is gathered on a product and readers can be more informed when making their next tackle purchase. I beleive that AFO with its 3000 plus members can draw on this collective wealth of information on products to the benefit of its members.

As an importer of tackle, i have imported some lures that are shockers (and shall rename nameless:( ) and some that are winners:laugh: , but it is through feedback that types and colours of products can be honed down so as to provide better lures to everyone.

Thats my two pence. i apologise for the length of the diatribe. EOFY has got me in a daze :S

username_taken wrote:

Mack_attack wrote:

Sounds good in theory, but I've seen forums sued and closed down over that sort of thing...

oh didn't relise that:blink: , yeah probably isn't worth the trouble:S

I think the approach that Zim man is suggesting is better than a 'this lure sux' list. I would even suggest having standard headings/points to cover so each lure review is consistant...for example

Make/Model

Colour/s tested

Retrieve action used -v- Swim Action observed

Target Fish and catch result (even the best lures don't catch fish on the wrong day)

Swim Depth

Test conditions (windy (in face/at back etc), rod/reel/line combo etc)

Length Time/number of times used.

General impressions

Cast distance

User experience (beginner to Gun)

etc...

Archived