Caloundra Offshore

pcsolutionman

Confused wrote:

nah they were real nice to me, They were called out because someone said i was tied to the beacon however once i told them my problem they were just glad to help.

so what was ur problem? the wind or had something worse happened? I saw the news on ch 10, whoever it was being interviewed, it didn't come across very well.

Jeremy

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently they got a couple of calls in.

1) Confused tied off to the marker

2) 3 Kayaks and only 2 people.

She was a bit rough out there. Lee dropped a 75+cm snapper at the yak and caught a smaller 40ishcm squire and a 50ish snapper

I hooked up and was done in about 1 second on 4lbs. I think I had my drag set too tight because the weight kept coming, rod buckled over but before line could come off ping! leader knot failed. QUITE disappointed at that, was very keen to crack onto some quality snapper on 4lbs.

TerryH wrote:

Apparently they got a couple of calls in.

1) Confused tied off to the marker

2) 3 Kayaks and only 2 people.

She was a bit rough out there. Lee dropped a 75+cm snapper at the yak and caught a smaller 40ishcm squire and a 50ish snapper

I hooked up and was done in about 1 second on 4lbs. I think I had my drag set too tight because the weight kept coming, rod buckled over but before line could come off ping! leader knot failed. QUITE disappointed at that, was very keen to crack onto some quality snapper on 4lbs.

didmt think you were that small terry :P

sorry mate

Lee called me a girl last night when I said I wasn't going due to the weather report:blink:

After seeing how sloppy it was out there I'm glad I stuck by my first call and stayed in bed.:laugh: :laugh:

I'm glad all got back OK all be it a little wet.

Hey Terry next time you see Lee treading water in the middle of the ocean for god sake TAKE A BLOODY PICTURE OR TWO will you;) :laugh:

cheers nodds:) :)

Nodds I was considering it mate, but my first concern was ensuring Lee got back in his yak. He'd been in the water for quite a while and was having a little trouble getting in. His life jacket was a bit loose at the top and kept catching the yak coming up, and his blue fleece jumper was weighing a tonne.

There were some quality fish out there, it was just a pian in the arse to tie leader knots or rig up or do anything.

Fishyman: Lee was in the water clinging on to his kayak lol. I couldn't really thread the line through the guides on my IMX since I dont have long enough arms - in any other water its ok I can just chuck the reel on the front of the hatch and guide it through, but with 1+m chop its a bit hard lol.

Guys massive massive media blow up, lol The weather was worse than predicted but still headed out not all that bad when we left probly 20 klnots and the wind was predicted to drop throughout the morning so we headed out Terry myself and Craig, Terry and I in our hobies and Craig in his Profish. got out to the beacon now worreis yeah it was rough but perfectly safe, I cast a lure out and was on with in seconds line screaming off of my new 3000 adv loaded with 15lb on my new custom snapper stick :shock: :shock: :shock: Finally turned its head after a couple of good long runs and pulled a Snapper to the surface and man it was a PB by a long way mid to high 70's easy, IT took one look at me and had one last dash for freedom and Ping goes my leader clean broke, not sure what happened but I was spewin, headed back for another drift to sea Craig really struggling to keep up with the current and wind he just couldnt get the thing to stay in a straight line (broken rudder) he was soon getting tired so he threw me a rope and I tied him off to the beacon so he could have a breather. Terry and I continued fishing, I dropped another resonable fish shortly after hooking then terry got a Hookup on his 4lb IMX yap he had it out there lol and ping leader knot broke dam, next drift I got onto another snapper only a little feller this time went 38cm threw him back, Swell and wind was increasing a little by this stage but still felt quite safe in the hobie man those pedals are great in windy conditions. next drift Im on again after a short but solid fight landed a mid 50's snapper ;-) ;-) knocked him on the head and into the hull he goes, lovin me new stick by this stage. Terry couldnt get his line through his guides in the rough conditions so I grabbed his rod to have a go as im getting the line through i lookup to see I have gotten side on to the ever increasing swell so I straighten up and continue with the line get it through the final tip guide and lookup to see a wave breaking right over my side :shock: :shock: yep off I come, but my 2 lighter sticks were fine locked and secured in the front holder but my heavier Tuna stick was just sitting in the rear holder (the only thing that wasnt tied down) so as im falling off I twist around in time to grab the rod :lol::lol: so here I am yak upside down treading water trying to keep 2 rods out of the water lol , called terry over, he couldnt hear me so I leaned the rods on the upside down yak and turned it back over, finally got terrys attention, to come over and grab the 2 rods I was holding so I could jump back on ;-) ;-) had a couple of failed attempts with a big heavy jumper filled with water but finally got back on, was never really in trouble worst case the jumper comes off and I jump straight back on done it many times. So Terry and I decided conditions were getting worse so we would head back in. got back to the beacon and told Craig we were heading back in, he said ok not sure how ill go but lets give it a crack, so he untied himself and off we went, We were making ok headway and craig was looking alright, the only problem was he could not head in any direction but straight into the wind, so Terry and I started heading towards land a bit more all the time keeping an eye on Craig, he was keeping pace with us so all was cool. thats when we look up to see the police boat heading our way, they came and had a chat to Terry and I, said they had had 3 calls about yakkers in trouble lol we said we were fine but Craig was struggling with a broken rudder, so the zoomed over, Craig decided it was easier to get a lift back in even though he would have made it back. Terry and I continued on our way back to the launch site then after dropping craig back they headed backn out to check on us, we said we were fine but they shadowed Terry who was ab out 200m behind me all the way back to the ramp, as I approached the ramp I see a new camera setup right in front of the ramp looking out at me, thought what the hell lol. paddled in even though the landing was easy shitting bricks that I might roll it on camera lmao. got in and had a news reporter start asking questions, said everything was fine mate just got a lift cause his rudder was playing up. he said oh well heres a story a rescue is a rescue. I said to him yeah your all the same this will be a massive beatup, his reply nah no way we dont dot hat sort of thing :shock: :shock: :shock: anyway that was our morning nothing too exciting lol we had some good fun and I dont think we were ever in any reel danger to be honest.

Get a few things straight

We did not abandon Craig as one of the news programs stated, we were watching his progress making sure not to get too far a head. Yes he got towed back but would have made it back in if needed hell Terry and I would have towed him if need be been there done that. once again a massive media beatup a story made from nothing.

Lee

When I first saw it on tv thought Booty had got into trouble and then recognised Lee and Terry and had a bit of a chuckle and said to the missus wonder what the true story will be.Wish I had recorded it to listen carefully what was said. They had a couple of so called experts to give their opinion after the event.

Main thing is that everyone is safe and can have a good laugh about it.

Cheers

Ray

a good healthy adventure, no harm done

sad you boys lost some hefty fish.

May sound a stupid Q, im a dead set rookie when it comes to Yaks!:blush:

You boys run pedal powered yaks?

What motion propells you forward, pumping the pedals back and forward or round and round like a bike? How do you stear?

And if you have a pedal Yak do you carry a paddle?

Leighton wrote:

What motion propells you forward, pumping the pedals back and forward or round and round like a bike? How do you stear?

We have fins under the yak that look like penquin flippers lol, it is a pushing motion not round like a bike, We steer with a hand control located on the left side of the yak, and yes we do carry paddles but only use them for reverse and sometimes launch and return

Lee

pcsolutionman wrote:

Leighton wrote:

We have fins under the yak that look like penquin flippers lol, it is a pushing motion not round like a bike, We steer with a hand control located on the left side of the yak, and yes we do carry paddles but only use them for reverse and sometimes launch and return

Lee

thanks mate, total novice but considering a new toy

Seems to me the REAL story to come out of this is the fact that mates stayed to help each other out and were watching out for each other!!

There you go news channels, report that!! :D

Good to see you all stuck with each other and helped each other where you could!! No matter what was said in the news, you know the real story and that's the only thing that counts!!

Shorty

a couple of tips for you guys if the rudder goes and the boat of any size becomes un managble tie a rope to the centre stern and trail it in the water the longer and bigger the rope the more drag and the sraighter youll run it will definately pull a yak straight against the wind . and next time some ones strugling take them under tow it makes life so much easier and safer itll avoid getting the situation to a serious level not that this was serious it just couldve been managed safer is all. and most of all dont paddle far from land with any wind with a west in it it means any major change in the weather and you have to paddle against the wind and that can be bad i realise the hobies dont suffer as bad as the paddle yaks but it still takes its toll there are some true horror stories out that sounded loverly at the start.

enough of this crap and well done on your pb lee and good luck with the 4lb on snapper terry i think you may need it lol

jason:)

omg just read it all as i missed the news, as i was reading a mate rings me to tell me about it rofl... shame about losing that big snap lee and media are a pack of fuck wits they get paid to write stories and thats just what they do!

Archived