"ADVENTURE OF THE DEEP"

Moo Man

After a countless number of fruitless fishing trips the awesome foursome (minus 1) decided that for the meantime we were sick of fishing in dirty and poo-filled rivers and decided to tackle the pinnacle of the fishing that is the deep sea.

After weeks of organisation and being riduculed by 'mates' the awesome threesome from now had their sights sets and after nearly pulling the plug on the entire endeavour the fishing gods directed me to Gone Fishing charters. we were going deep sea fishing.

Before we even set foot on the boat the fishing gods didn't seem to like us very well as it rained all of Monday however we didn't receive the dreaded call from the charter (gone fishing). Fishings on, for now.

After a restless night sleep my dreams of catching a monster marlin were interrupted by the annoying sound of alarm at 3 am and as i leant over and hit it my my open palm i realised that it had been raining for the entire night. With a worried shrug i forced my parents into our car and made our way to boofas and wiseguys place and then onto the gold coast where our charter awaited.

As we pulled into the Mirage Marina the rain was still gushing down however a few drops of water wasn't going to dampen the spirits of three enthusiastic fisherman.

After paying the $155 fee for 9 jam packed hours of fishing which was considerably cheaper than most charters we along with 6 other keen fisherman boarded the mighty vessel that would be our home for the next 9 hours. We started with a gentle cruise down the broad water however that was quickly halted as our boat became airborne as we entered the massive- swell of the pacific.

After a wet, cold and bumpy 2 hour ride we came to the apparent best fishing spot on the gold coast and this was apparent as we baited either squid or pilchids to our Penn senator rods and dropped into 95 meters of water and almost instantaneously everyone on board had landed either 1 or 2 monster pearl perches ,which according to the deckhand were a trophy fish and go for $30/kg, in their first cast. However after an hour or so our luck ran out and were supposed to head deeper and chase trout however due to the unprecendented weather we were restricted to the pearl perch haven. The fishing gods then decided to have a few laughs as we had little to no bites and nearly everyone on board including yours truly lost their guts overboard. However wise guy takes the cake with a record 5 spews overboard and 3/4 of the trip curled up and wet but after a pilchid to the face he became his normal self (although not fishing wise).

The highlight of the day which inspired us all to battle the wind and rain and keep on fishing came when the radio crackled and the skipper from a neighbouring boat yelled "look mate there's a marlin over there mate" and sure enough there 10 meters from our boat was a monster marlin flapping around with its long nose piercing the surface. Despite the quick thinking of the deckhand we were unable to land the fish of my dreams. Oh well back to the perch.

Several more luckless hours followed where we all had had enough of getting no bites and were considering heading back to land early when a gent down the rear of the boat yelled an excited "I'm on" and by the look of his rod he had a MONSTER. Monster was an understatement as he reeled up 65cm pearl perch. The biggest catch of the day and more importantly the fishing continued. After a great lunch of chicken and ham and salad rolls our luck seemed to return with a few hours of great fishing where pearl perch, snapper and leather jackets were landed all to the enjoyment of the awesome threesome where all of the fish that we were used to were catfish and eels.

Another highlight was when a red faced wise guy yelled "I've got a monster" and landed a measly 15cm perch that sent laughs around the boat. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh.

Unfortunately morning turned to afternoon and the skipper gave us the bad news that we were turning back to civilisation . The fishing gods decided to have one last laugh as blue skies and calm seas appeared. Just perfect.

On our way back home we were accompanied by a school of flying fish who looked graceful in the air and one of the worlds limited white humpback whales that made headlines this morning. A sight for the ages.

Still reeling from that spectacular sight we made our way into the broadwater and passed the other charter boat that was on its way out in blue skies and calm seas. As we finally moored back at the marina and said our final goodbyes to a new found fishing friends we saw a school of monster black bream swimming around the wharfs pylons. Monster is a huge understatement as they were the biggest bream any of us had ever seen. EVER.

The deckie then measured and cleaned the days legal catch which is as follows:

16 Pearl Perch

2 Snapper

2 Leather Jackets

Me and my mates had a cracker of a day (well maybe not wiseguy)i racked up 4 pearl perch and the biggest snapper of the day. Boof racked up 3 pearlies and a undersized snapper and wise guy finished with 3 pearlies.

It was an unforgettable experienced and a cherished memory that we will always hold. I urge every keen fisherman to try this adventure at least once for themselves as it is a great day out.

The crew at gone fishing charters were unbelievably helpful and their gear was top of the range.

Sorry bout the length but a jam packed day leads to a jam packed report

Cheers for reading

Moo Man:)

P.S Photos to follow soon

top stuff lads, and that's an under-statement.

to brave monday's weather out in the open wud have been crazy, hence the spewing.

bet it all feels pretty good now, sitting down to that tasty feed.

nice reports, keep em coming.

bogan.

yer its true that he pearlies dont usually like water less than 30m deep, and they never venture from structure.

however, i was reading in Gregory's AUSTRALIAN FISHING (15th edition) by Scott Amon, and it says that in winter the large pearlys can move into water as shallow as 15m, providing there is reef structure, and they will hold there while its cold to mate/ spawn etc...

thought id share!

hope u have a gr8 day tomorow Boofa!!!

-Wiseguy!

ohhh thx alot mate yer will do pity i gotta work for a few hours....

umm yer thats good to heer some interesting facts..

cause my birthday instead of party .. will are goin to hire a boat at bribie go out for the day just a few of us... the weekend after u get back from wyd...

cheers

boofa :woohoo:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived