starting soft plastics

Start with Squidgee Slick rigs 65 to 90mm versions.

Reasonably priced, come with jig heads in them.

For bream there are various smaller plastics around, the only ones with jigs I am aware of are the kokoda Mad Shads (one of my favourites), but I dont fish much for small stuff, so likely to be lots of others out there. (I remember River to sea doing a line of small prerigged plastics)

imho i think if you want to start out with plastics then start with gulp. they are heavily scented which makes it a bit easier then normal plastics. once you get your own technique then other plastics are pretty easy. for gulps id start with 2inch shrimps in any of the colours - my favourites would be natural, new penny and pearl white, then 3inch minnows in same colours as the shrimp and also motling and rainbow.

for jigheads a range of weights from 1/32 - 1/8 is then norm. brand wise thats up to you. i prefer TT jigheads because of the screw type holder cos it doesnt damage the plastic as much. cheapest ones avail in stores would prolly have to be the squidgy ones with are good as well.

Thought i would continue this topic as it may be relevent.

I too am trying to hook something on a SP.

I was just wondering how you all think it preforms in a windy situation.

Useing a 1/16 jig, i went out today and count help thinking it was a little pointless as it was a bit blowy.

What could we do in this sort of situation? What sort of rig could i switch to in a windy situation. I was thinking a Bait/sinker sort of rig.

Anyways caught nothing and went home.

That would have been fine, but got pulled over for being on the mobile on the way home :angry:

Sorry to the OP if u consider this hi-jacking.

Trav

Gulp 2 inch shrimp.

Gulp 3 inch minnows.

Gulp Bloodworms.

I highly reccomend these to anyone starting with plastics. Some "purists" will attest that Gulp is cheating. Who cares! I find 50% of fishing with plastics is confidence. Until you "know" that the lure you have in the water will catch fish, you are simple dragging a piece of plastic through the water.

Once that first fish is hooked and landed its a whole different story.

Gear is also a massive issue here i reckon. A lot of people get advice on softies and then go out spend a lot on lures and use overly heavy line etc.

Its worth matching the style of fishing you want to achieve on all levels. Im not saying spend a lot of money either. Any average spinning reel, spooled with 6ln line and 6lb or 8lb leader, then rigged with a jig head suitable to the conditions (ie, heaviever for deeper or current ridden water, lighter for the opposite), and then a gulp shrimp, minnow or whatever, will give you a geat lef to start on.

Combine this with a twitchy retrieve, or with gulps, even a stready consistant retrieve, if the fish are there, you will get one eventually.

Also dont get put off if you dont get a fish your first few times. Even the pro have their bad days!

Angus

So far im on the right track. runnning 6lb line. Will deffinatley head your advice with those specific sp's.

Just a rookie question now: Do you use the Gulp from the packet or the ones from the bucket?

I acctually got some gulp "new penny" minnows, but i took them out of the packet an stuck them in my tackle box. Would it be reccomended to leave them in the packet with the attractor?

Thanks

Trav

I think its berkley that are bringing out a new range of plastics made from environmentaly friendly biodegradable products, not made from petrochemicls like the current ones (plastics from america contain prodects like lead if you read the american packets alot will say "contains chemicals known to cause cancer in the state of california" I dare say if they cause cancer in california they will cause cancer eleswhere, Im not a docor but hey!! Most plastics on the market wont last overnight ina tackle box hence the resealable packet they come in, dont worry, once you start catching fish on your plastics they wont last long in the packet. Ive found around brissy its about picking spots where fish are at thier most natural, overfished areas seem to be weary of plastics but get a fish in its natural environment hunting as it should they fall for softies more often than not.

Gulps are the only ones that need to stay in the packs. The rubber based ones are fine outside they packs. However, they can "melt" your tacklebox unless it is marked as "worm proof"

The Gulp!'s that you took out would still be fine in a new pack. If they seem a bit dry before you put them in, soak them in a cup of water until they go soft again, and then put them into the new pack:)

Archived