Caloundra 27-07-08 the early birds report

Schultzy

We've been slowly dragging livies around mate. :P

I need to get my own little bait tube though. had a couple of hits, one was a snapper and the other unknown, it was in fairly shallow water near a small reef so maybe a kingy (dropped a few around there)

But we will be dragging a couple around for tuna and cobia in the next coming month :)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about a pair of mahi mahi? :)

I can show you a pic of a 78kg black marlin on a hobie (at the beach) lol.

Sure thing mate, hopefully we'll bag a couple of cobia in the next month. Something in the 20-30kg range would be awesome.. I wont knock back something above 30kg, but would rather my first one in that 20-30kg range lol.

I wouldn't mind heading up north and bagging some big GTs, Queenies or other trevally either ;) 20+kg GT anyone?

Anyway.. some great photos schultzy. Thanks for coming again :)

TerryH wrote:

Sure thing mate, hopefully we'll bag a couple of cobia in the next month. Something in the 20-30kg range would be awesome..

Aw come on now Terry, don't be greedy, 10 kg would be plenty of cobia to wrestle into a Hobie. B)

Much bigger wouldn't fit into the hatch.:unsure:

Schultzy wrote:

The fellow driving the large vessel didn't know he should take action to avoid collision with a vessel approaching from his starboard side. Obviously a learner. ;)

Hahah, I had a laugh at that! Nice fish btw boys!

Joel ;)

TerryH wrote:

Would most likely try a release

Here's a pic of a cobe caught jigging with 8lb line & 12lb leader not far off Bribie. Well within Kayak range.

We use a landing net on our cobia for a few reasons.

1. They tend to go ape on a gaff.

2. We can release them unharmed when netted.

3. Treble hooks and writhing cobia make Goblocs a touch hazardous.

[img size=303]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Cobia_948.jpg

post-108-144598466255_thumb.jpg

Neil was that the story I was hearing when we were out at the blinker? That's a nice cobia ;) Although I'd have to say maybe a bit lucky on the leader??

Do you think a pair of BOGAS would be ok for that instead of a net? the benefit of Boga-grips is that the jaw gripping section can spin freely in circles if the fish decides to go spastic while you just hold the handle still.

TerryH wrote:

Neil was that the story I was hearing when we were out at the blinker? That's a nice cobia ;) Although I'd have to say maybe a bit lucky on the leader??

Do you think a pair of BOGAS would be ok for that instead of a net? the benefit of Boga-grips is that the jaw gripping section can spin freely in circles if the fish decides to go spastic while you just hold the handle still.

Yes, that's the one. Sadly though it is another of those pics, like Lee's snapper, that doesn't look as big as in reality.

If live baiting with single hooks a Boga would be OK, not ideal but still preferable to a gaff. If trolling Vipers though, with three sets of trebles flying around close to bare knuckles they are scary on active fish.:S

Schultzy wrote:

TerryH wrote:

Yes, that's the one. Sadly though it is another of those pics, like Lee's snapper, that doesn't look as big as in reality.

If live baiting with single hooks a Boga would be OK, not ideal but still preferable to a gaff. If trolling Vipers though, with three sets of trebles flying around close to bare knuckles they are scary on active fish.:S

:laugh:

Ok mate, will be very cautious with my first cobia, and will be watching those hooks very carefully!

The cobia might not look too big in the photo, but you can clearly see the length, and its not too far off being almost as tall as you :laugh: that's a whopper of a catch on such light line. well done :) no wonder it took so long :laugh:

I can imagine how big that'd be.... Now when are we going kayaking for one ?:)

big al wrote:

like to see you guys hook one of those kingies in your yak:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: would be fun

Hey Al,

We haven't hooked a cobia from the Yak yet but we've hooked a couple of yellowtail kingies. Buggers fall off the hooks while we're trying to get the Gobloc in their mouths though. :X

Rocket75 wrote:

I had never really heard much about trolled snapper???

Read plenty about SP's, cubing, bottom bouncing, jigging...but not trolling HBs!

Is this a newish phenomenon or just not "trendy" atm ?

Rocket I've been going back through some of the old man's photo albums. There are photos of some real nice snapper trolled up on Newell Scorpions at the Inner Gneerings. Others caught on big magnum Bombers from around Moreton Island. These were taken about twenty years ago so I'm guessing that trolling for snapper is not new, just not too widely known perhaps.

i will tell you yakkers a spot to try for TAILOR on the sunny coast they are usually there in good numbers this month and a few school mackerel thrown in for good measure :woohoo: i havent been there for 2years but it should still be good;) a hint you yakkers havent been far of this spot :P when you have been geting your snapper i would love to get up there while tailor is fotm:cheer: al

mmm speaking of tialor, my PB tailor went a lot harder than my PB Snapper.

So I wouldn't mind hooking up to some big tailor;) Apparently theres lots in the surf near moffats n further up.. I think we have a session planned of high speed trolling (yak style) especially for tailor.

big al wrote:

terryh you got it moffits headland best on se wind ;) not very good on a n/ne or nw we got some big uns there 2 year ago we were using pillies not lurs or plastics but ha:huh: early mornings best just on light good luck:laugh: al

Best for what? Surfing? lol

I have no idea what time it fishes well, so thakns for that :)

as you know schultzy all depends on the weather wind direction and swell size:side: the locals launch there small tinnies off the beach at moffits some times:woohoo: i have always left from boat ramp at sailing club and out through the bar ;) you could have a look when you all go there before you launch your yaks and go from your usual spot or moffit beach wich ever looks the best:cheer: a good idear befor you go phone a bait and tackle shop up there and see if the tailor are on :cheer: al. hope you all get some usualy there are some good uns up there or were last time i went

Just got home, we fished till just before dusk, did 27klms today. I got a couple of snapper early 1 early fifties one mid forties, then got some yakkas at brays with Terry and We set off towards currimundi reef, to try and bag something bigger :):). man we covered some ground and slogged our asses off but nothing touched a livie all day :(:(. We did however pickup about 10 squire each ranging from 30cm to a 60cm model Terry got. All my fish were released today

Lee

Great to catch up with you guys today (fishyman) it was all an excellent day on the water, I think Gra is doing up a report for this one, Lee had a bag of squire, Terry had some as well, Alby got 4, I got 4, Gra got 1, Batty got one I think sorry Brian I can't remember now, my 2 bggest went 52 and 53.

I drowned my camera today :blush: new one on order (don't ask).

Almost everyone got into them today.

Regards

Al

Biggles wrote:

Great to catch up with you guys today (fishyman) it was all an excellent day on the water, I think Gra is doing up a report for this one, Lee had a bag of squire, Terry had some as well, Alby got 4, I got 4, Gra got 1, Batty got one I think sorry Brian I can't remember now, my 2 bggest went 52 and 53.

Almost everyone got into them today.

Regards

Al

emphasis on almost :P

Archived