yakkers how far would you go

big al

yakkers how far would go for a fish:unsure: way back in the early sixteys a couple of my mates when we were mad keen spearfishers we had a 2man ply dive ski made by my mate leo- one day while having a few beers the talk was a trip from wynnum boat ramp over to flinders reef:woohoo: :woohoo: for a few hour spearing this was before any of us had a boat .the plan was to leave around half hour before light paddle over spear a few fish return in the arvo:unsure: but i backed out :( so of 2 off the mates go early sat morning so we said:cheer: see you later as they paddled away we thought :silly: :silly: :ohmy: what will happen no safety gear no radio or any thing just water to cut it short all went well they got back late gust before dark on the side of the ski were these 2 huge spanish mackerel :woohoo::woohoo: and a few other reefies the ski was only just above water when they got off the ski the boys fell in a heep on the ground well and truly stuffed so how far would todays or afo yakkers go for a fish:laugh: also there trip home was in about 90cm seas +:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

ill have to look at a map and work it out :woohoo: just stepped it out on the map 61 kilometers each way plus all the zig-zag when paddling thats if my navig skills are right still a bloddy long way ill have to see if i have photos of the ski:cheer:

I think some tall tales may have been told over a few beers on where they went. Al, your distance works out to be right but I would have to agree with Lee

I think we usually maintain about 8km/h for a lengthy duration, which would still mean 15 hours in travel time there and back with the aid of a GPS to keep us going in a straight line.

I would have no problem fishing Flinders Reef if I launched from moreton, it's only 5.5km out apparently. I wouldn't even attempt it from Bribie, which is a significantly shorter trip at about 25km.

If there was any sort of wind I think you'd be hard pressed to maintain those speeds paddling for so long.

ok then it was a 2 man ski so 2 sets off paddles and as you all know we were a lot tougher back in the sixteys than what you juys are these days:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i thought i better phone a old mate and check on this and true :woohoo: :woohoo: but they stayed overnight:blush: :blush: or well nealy got it right the first time :laugh: :laugh: must bee my age :cheer: :cheer: all you yakkers

pcsolutionman wrote:

kriso wrote:
not that far mate but i know 2 phsyco's on here that would

how far is that trip???

not problrm headding 15kms each way, and seas up to 2.5-3m are fine as long as its not choppy big swells are no problem

Lee

Sounds about right, I may not be as quick as my younger counter-parts but the distance is fine. Just need to have a good eye out if you are in the middle of the shipping channel :unsure:

Al

:laugh: :laugh:

ive been reading you guys exploits, and am of the opinion that youre mad ... and bloody good fishos. :cheer: :laugh: :cheer:

but i stand by my earlier remarks about a need for a camera boat to record your fun..

it would be awesome footage im sure..

Maxi

I want to hit up some reefs up north where they get some BIG GTs (30+kgs)

However we would need a substantially larger boat with us to take us out that far :laugh:

If anyone is up for towing a few yaks out to some reefs up far north... ;) would make for osme good footage.. massive poppers + heavy gear + yak + big GTs = surely some great, great fun :D

TerryH wrote:

However we would need a substantially larger boat with us to take us out that far :laugh:

If anyone is up for towing a few yaks out to some reefs up far north... ;) would make for osme good footage.. massive poppers + heavy gear + yak + big GTs = surely some great, great fun :D

Oooooh yeah, I can see the headlines now, "Giddeup & Scales get amongst 'em, Mojo cracks another donut" LMAO :laugh: :laugh:

Al

Biggles wrote:

TerryH wrote:

Oooooh yeah, I can see the headlines now, "Giddeup & Scales get amongst 'em, Mojo cracks another donut" LMAO :laugh: :laugh:

Al

Better stop getting donuts yourself mate, while our two yaks keep having fish brought aboard :laugh:

Feral wrote:

Well I know Terry and Lee have gone as far as Gladstone chasing Barra!

I thought we might see them at Glenlyon after a "real Cod" while we are out there, but no nibbles so far!

Funny you mention that

Lee and I (well at least I have) thrown around the idea of chasing "real Cod" at Glenlyon :)

That and I needa "real Barra" as a PB.. something around 1.2m long should suffice

Archived