Shimano "Slade" reels

Sparksie

G'day

As you do when at the tackle store....you cruise past reels etc. and have a browse.

Saw some Shimano "Slade" in 1000, 2500,4000 for $50 a piece.

Are these any good?

Or are they just a "cheapie" Shimano to compete at the lower priced end of the market?

They seemed Ok and weight wise were Ok. But was suprised at the price difference between these and some of the other Shimano reels...

Any feedback appreciated.

:)

I have 2, yea they are cheap but boy are they good. I took mine up to noosa with me and landed some good fish on it. I have the 1000 sizes and went to the barra park and landed a 96cm Barra on it. I usually go for the Airities and sols and luvias's but the slade is one of the best shimano reels i have!

Not sure if you can see the slade at all in the pic there but it is there.

P1010016.jpg

I have had a few cheaper Shimanos and have found the QC lacks a little. If you do buy one open up all the boxes and make sure you pick the smoothest one. I have had a couple of siennas that had poorly shimmed crown gears and one with burrs on both crown and pinion gears. With a little work they were both very smooth and served me well for 12mths. Booty has one of them now.

For the money Pfluegers are worth a look. I have a couple of trions that are a little more expensive but have bearings everywhere bar the handle (7 in total) The drag on these is also a lot smoother when tight. At about $85 landed from Motackle they aren't much dearer and also come with a 2nd spool.

I have a sienna and a slade and can't fault either for their price. Had one for two years and the other for one year. I use them in the salt on the yak and abuse them lots and they have never let me down and I don't service them at all because if they stuff up I would just buy a new one.

BCF had the sienna with a rod for only $69. Too good a bargain to pass up.

i dont have a slade but also have a sienna pretty smooth little reel for the price, i also pulled in barra no worries on mine at the barra park as well:P i have a 2cnd hand sahara i bought off leighton wich is also i nice reel in the lower price range.

Archived