10/08/08 - Islands + River

bogan

Well, went out about 8-ish this morning from FI boatramp, went right, went around all islands, couldn't loose a bait.

The old man and I decided to come back to the rock wall at the mouth, managed to loose some baits to some pesky little 12-15cm squire/bream and decided to call it quits.

Traveling back up the mouth of the river, just hitting the patrick wharfs, and woosh-ka, 30-40 birds in a feeding frenzy.

The soft plastics came off and on went the chrome slugs, the old man managing to get a treble in his thumb he was in that much of a hurry :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nothing on the first few casts, they kept diving, we kept chasing them, then FINALLY - cast in, before i could even start reeling in, BANG! and the fight was on. 12lb line, no trace, $2 k-mart cheapy slug on.

Fought for 90 minutes, almost being spooled 4 times, up until this stage, we had managed to keep both fish and boat on the same side of the constant incoming container ships, then, with the last container ship nearing, fish went one side, we were on the other, ship + tug blew horn 3 times, so we had no option but to wait it out and see what happens.... Snap, hit the props of the container ship :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Feeling pretty miserable by now, on went another $2 kmart cheapy, but this time on a reel with braid, and the school was gone, hung around for about 1/2 hour, nothing :huh: ? So home it was.

I would have loved to have seen what it was, because WAY too big to be a tailor, and i doubt it was even a mack tuna due to the fight. It did end up feeling like a dead weight at times, but then would take off screaming and shaking again.

Anybody able to fill me in on what's been smashing these bait schools at the mouth of the river? Saw the same thing last weekend as well.

bogan wrote:

........then, with the last container ship nearing, fish went one side, we were on the other, ship + tug blew horn 3 times, so we had no option but to wait it out and see what happens.... Snap, hit the props of the container ship :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

3 horn blasts mean they are altering their course to astern, so you should have stood your ground and made them, ummmm maybe not! Bummer on the bust off, but atleast you are safe and well.

Has anyone actually seen a school of tailor busting up int he river?

I've been out there a few days, seen 3 schools of fish smashing bait, and not a single one has been tailor. At least, nothing VISIBLE has been tailor. They've all been mac tuna, however one of my fights with one (which was cut drastically short) indicates that sometimes tailor might sit under them. But I would assume mac tuan would ahve been your mystery fish. That is, unless some Longies have pushed up into the mouth region, if so I'll see you guys next week, I'm going fishing :) :)

When dodging those ships, dont get too close to the rocks either, unless you like surfing :whistle: :laugh:

However if it was a mac tuna, then I'm quite surprised it took you 90 minutes. How light do you fish the drag? obviously you dont need to fish it hard out there for them, - but dont tell me that,b ecause I wont change my drag :laugh:

But assuming you fished it with any sort of drag even a mac tuna shouldn't give you that much stick

Archived