Hervey Bay - Help please

BrianFocker

Hi guys

A mate and I are planning a few days up in Hervey day in the next week to week and a half, depending on weather. Is there anyone from up that way or regular HB fisherman who might be able to share some tips with us. Locations, bait etc. This is our first time up there and we are hoping for a good couple of days, so any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

We have a GPS so if you have any co-ordinates we would appreciate it

Cheers guys

Brian

well if it were me i'd take my nice boat and camping stuff up along the inside of fraser... from this spot in the centre of this picture

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=fraser+island&sll=-27.428105,153.031205&sspn=0.006752,0.009656&ie=UTF8&ll=-25.223733,152.993546&spn=0.110103,0.154495&t=h&z=13

its called moon point, the barge drops off there.. nice deep water offshore.. oodles of banks but the true wonder is from moon pt north to platypus bay/rooney point its all awesome. rooneys is where a lot of the charter boats go on their extended trips.. theres a creek 15-20kms or so north called wathumba creek.. if you zoom out a little in that link you'll see it when u follow the coast up.. great fishing the whole way up, be it beach or boat and craploads of camping spots..lotsa reefy patches there..lotsa fish..

this last link is the H.B artificial reef, which gives off some mighty fine reefy fish... not sure of the gps marking but it won't be hard to find..

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=fraser+island&sll=-27.428105,153.031205&sspn=0.006752,0.009656&ie=UTF8&ll=-25.306632,152.983718&spn=0.027507,0.038624&t=h&z=15

ps also on the western end of hervey bay theres a suburb called Point Vernon.. nice spot. rocky shores.. western side of pt vernon is a boat ramp at Gatakers Bay.. good spot to launch.. good spot for bait in the rock canal and lotsa close offshore reefs that will give quite an array of fishies.. caught my first ever mackerel there as a spotty kid on a loaned alvey reel!

I fish hervey bay regularly. Was there fishing recently, got excellent catches of winter whiting drifting the flats a couple of kays west of duck island. Using fresh yabbies for bait in about 2 and a half meters of water.

Fishntales is a great site for advice in the area

rayke1938 wrote:

Drop into the local Tackleworld up there they sponsor Fishntales and are very helpfull. Also sell a list of all the local gps spots.

Fishntales has a post every week of what the local fishing scene is doing.

Cheers

Ray

i completely forgot to mention tackleworld! they send me a fishing report every week for HB

PM me if u want me to forward it on brian.. or just sign up and u may get one before you go up there

Archived