Australian Salmon

Schultzy

My old mate Kevin Clark and I went on a mission to catch an Australian salmon on the weekend. Fished the beaches around Evan's Head in far northern NSW.

Saw only one school of sambos during the entire weekend but managed to score 7 salmon in 2 hours before they disappeared.

Got them on my 10' Ugly Stick Gold and brand new Pflueger Infusion reel throwing 50 and 70g Lazers. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Cast_8577.jpg

post-108-144598471322_thumb.jpg

Fish 'N' Bits? Good ol' Toowoomba store... still remember when I drove out there to buy some lures at the lsat minute :laugh:

Carl Jocumsen seemed a good guy, liked the lure tank in the shop with that lone yella in it:P Too bad I couldn't catch him :( hahah

Nice catches Schultzy, I was a bit jealous when I read your message:P

Feral wrote:

Well done Schultzy!

Mind you Jeff wont be happy, he was planning a trip to get some salmon this winter, and as far as I know he never got around to it, now your rubbing his nose in it! :)

OOOOPS! :blush:

Oh well at least I didn't tell him how good they are on the plate fresh from the water.

Death Ray wrote:

Hey great fish, Shultzy & Co

Do you need heavy leader like you do when Tailor fishing. From the pic the Salmon don't look like they have razor teeth like Tailor.

Thanks and well done

Andrew

When using bait a lot of guys use gang hooks. This helps get the line clear of the teeth

Lures, probably beef up the leader a little more than normal.

Death Ray wrote:

Hey great fish, Shultzy & Co

Do you need heavy leader like you do when Tailor fishing. From the pic the Salmon don't look like they have razor teeth like Tailor.

Thanks and well done

Andrew

I used 20lb mono leader. They don't have slicing teeth like tailor but they can abrade a line if hooked deeply. No problem with slugs, they weren't taking them deeply enough and had plenty of metal to chew on.

Archived