More action from the Albert !

Dazzamcgee

Yeah I'm probably starting to sound like a cracked record !

Anyways, I had afew hours to spare this morning so I decided to bush bash the Albert in search of Bass. Took the trusty old spin gear and fly rod with me and a hand full of surface lures and my homemade flies. The first spot I reached I casted out the buggi pop and on touch down "boof" "ping" :angry: Bricked by a nice fish O'well:angry: !! Rather than rerigging it was time to break out the fly gear;). Second wave of the wand and "boof" I'm on and after a short tussle in pops a Bass B). Waved it afew more times for nothing and as I was thinking of rerigging the spinning rod I caught a glimps of a huge brown shadow lurking just under the surface. I shot out a long wave missing it by afew feet then another and on touch down the shadow snapped back towards the splash of the fly. Floating gently to the surface it slurped down the fly :ohmy: its a huge carp around 4ft long and about a foot deep so I struck hard! Water erupted everywhere and I was on but only for a split second before the line went limp..:( Missed it..:angry:

It took some time for my nerves to calm down after that :blush: .

Moving on to some of my other spots I found a nice looking snag and proceeded to pepper it with a new buggi pop. Wasnt long till a bass had ago but failed to hookup this happened 3 maybe 4 times but it seemed not to be mouthing it more nudging it in anger so I played with him untill he foul hooked himself :).

A few more spots later and another couple of casts produce more bass and I ended the morning with 7 bass, 1 on fly and 6 on lures and also missed a carp of a lifetime....

Still shaking after the carp!!! It was HUGE !! [img size=250]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Picture_230_AFO.jpg

post-633-144598472282_thumb.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone wants to go fishing specificly for carp in the Albert or its tribs. (not totally familiar with what areas they are in up here), then bait up with a tin of sweet corn kernels from the supermarket. I dont think any particular brand is better than another :huh: , but they worked a treat down south on the Murray. I remember camping at Yarrawonga caravan park and watching some wogs (I'm allowed to say that since I am one) disclaimer: apologies to anyone that was offended by that remark:ohmy: ...anyway they were pulling in huge carp that couldnt even fit into one of those huge fishing crates (over 1 metre). Dont know what happened to carpbusters...but maybe it could be a bit of fun to set up a carpcull comp for the Albert:unsure: .

Jason

Insurance is a bitch.....they'll screw you to get it, and your screwed without it. Maybe the Fisheries Dept can be put to good use and orginise some of these events under the umbrella of the State...oh hang on, that means more people may take up fishing, and more people to piss off when they shut places down. Still, it may be alright to get a few people together (maybe our new Courier Mail freind to do an article on selective fishing practices for the purpose of good and not evil)and just have fun hammering the carp.

Carp in the Albert can and do get very big. The biggest I have pulled out of there was just over 80cm.

During the warmer months there is a tree that produces a purple round berry...the carp hang around under these waiting for the berries to drop. Also if you locate a Mulberry tree (they are around) I will garuantee a carp will be under it.

Congrats on the Bass.

Leigh.

Don't think Dazza will mind me updating this thread seeing never of us took a camera.

We went Albert Yaking yesturday from 6am to about 3pm and had a hoot. He (Dazza) caught 20, mostly on a white buggie pop but some on a frog looking floating minow and an trolled immo mullet. He switched as the sun got higher and the tide stuffed our run home.

I only caught 10 but 4 of them were sizable. A couple I got on the never fail buggie pop but keen for some bigger fish I went deeper then Dazza with sx40 and baby boomarang.

The best fish of the day (in my view) was the last one I got tight into a pile of exposed dead tree roots and branches on a repala mullet pop . It was a tricky fight that went under the yak in all directions with short bursts which changed the direction of the yak. It only went 38cm but was as fit as a Olympian and sure put up a better fight then the 50cm I pulled out of big W.

I say only 10 for me but 30 between us is a pretty good effort.

PS Another Chilly momment - I netted a mid 30's prize fighter and successfull cleared the trebles and fish from the net but during the process of release, instead of clearing the lure from the fish I held the lure with my release plyers and shook. Well slipped is more accurate. I cut the line with the plyers. Bye bye Sx40! THe very point of using the net was not to loose the lure!. Ohhhhh Chilly you are a unco sometines.

Well what a day!!!! :)

Great company and plenty of fish!! What more can one ask for?

A massive well done to Brian for scoring a near 40cm Bass which was the biggest for the day!! Well done mate!! ;)

Yeah for me the usual tricks were the undoing of many bass tho only small fish it was still fun! :)

Thanks again Brian and well done!! B) B)

goldnugget wrote:

If anyone wants to go fishing specificly for carp in the Albert or its tribs. (not totally familiar with what areas they are in up here), then bait up with a tin of sweet corn kernels from the supermarket. I dont think any particular brand is better than another :huh: , but they worked a treat down south on the Murray. I remember camping at Yarrawonga caravan park and watching some wogs (I'm allowed to say that since I am one) disclaimer: apologies to anyone that was offended by that remark:ohmy: ...anyway they were pulling in huge carp that couldnt even fit into one of those huge fishing crates (over 1 metre). Dont know what happened to carpbusters...but maybe it could be a bit of fun to set up a carpcull comp for the Albert:unsure: .

Jason

no offence taken by this wog-

m8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

carp of a lifetime!!! (im sure u will find a bigger model!)

i felt the smae wen i lost a catty goign 3kgs and about 50 cm...

10 mins later i wa son to one almost 5 kgs and 62cm...

dw, im sure ull nab him one day!

-Wiseguy

boofa wrote:

hahha go the wogs...

just wonderin are carp any good to eat or just for fun...

cheers boofa

Put it this way mate, I'm 3/4's wog & I've eaten carp before, made bloody good rissoles actually, no good for fillets or anything but, just gut em, skin em, head off & chuck em through the mincer to make some fish rissoles. And only if the come from a clean flowing river that is, bloody muddy otherwise!

Cheers,

Matt

Dazzamcgee wrote:

Just for the record again!!:)

Yaked the Albert this arvo for 3 hours bagged 15 bass and had no brickings(thank god) all fish fell to surface lures.

Best part was getting towed around in the yak by aggro bass!!:laugh: and finding 6 lures to add to the collection!!

:) :) :)

Most would be the ones I lost Daz. 15 in 3 hours, did you get bored? :woohoo:

Brian D wrote:

Dazzamcgee wrote:
Just for the record again!!:)

Yaked the Albert this arvo for 3 hours bagged 15 bass and had no brickings(thank god) all fish fell to surface lures.

Best part was getting towed around in the yak by aggro bass!!:laugh: and finding 6 lures to add to the collection!!

:) :) :)

Most would be the ones I lost Daz. 15 in 3 hours, did you get bored? :woohoo:

No time to get bored on the Albert!!:woohoo:

Heading out at first light tomorrow morning (weather permitting) for another go at them!!:)

Well it never fails!! :woohoo:

7 Bass and a couple dropped, no brickings with plenty of boofs here and there made for a great morning session.:)

Tried all the usual spots but things were very slow took awhile to bag the first fish dropping 3 straight of the bat.:angry:

Thinking the arvo sessions are more productive!!;)

Bagged a nice Bass(very healthy) from an unexpected spot that went hard for cover towing me and the yak in to the bankside scrub, thats about 130kgs it was towing!!!:dry:

Yet another great day on the Albert!!B) [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Picture_277_AFO.jpg

post-633-144598473666_thumb.jpg

Archived