The high tide blues

flatty_catcher

Well the title says it all, I am originally from NSW and the incoming tide and high tide was always a great bite time..

but around Brisbane (well land based anyway) I don't think I have ever caught a thing on that side of the tide ,not even top of the tide, only after it starts running out a bit then the fishing begins (well for me anyway).

Best times I find is morning run out tide and afternoon evening run out tide.

Also the moon?

Does the full moon spook fish up here?

I used to go fishing for black bream as a young fella with my uncle down in Sydney harbour at night, full moon you wouldn't get a touch.

Also a SE was the same, apparently its a Northerly up this way that puts em off the bite.

any comments welcome as Its a bit of a mystery to me

Dan

Thats an interesting observation you've made dan, for me the incoming tide and high tide always fishes better than the outgoing, and I'm mainly land based myself. As for the full moon I can't really say, though I hear people say and claim that the best time to chase threaddies in the river is during the full moon on the incoming tides. It'll be interesting to hear what the other ppl on the forum have to say...

to be honest flatty, i think it's just luck of the draw in some places, on a full moon i used to go fishing because i could see what i was doing and watch the rod tips etc, etc.but last year i went to harry's which is in the bay,1 night before the full moon, from memory it was very dark until 7.30 when the moon started to rise up over nth straddie, i could see half of it, then it was like someone turned the switch on, over 30 squire and some snapper were caught that night, and came home with 3 good fish. so i went with a mate on the full moon and though i've never ever done well on a full moon, i said to my mate not to expect to much, same thing very dark till 8.00 colock then spotted the top of the moon and i told him about the night before, but he was confident,i wasn't,within 5 minutes we could not fish with 2 rods it was full on one after another until we left, around midnight, so that was a first for me :ohmy:

There isn't really a stage of the tide that I don't prefer somewhere. Either side of low often works out well on the beach. Midway between low and high has pulled some of my biggest snapper in certain areas, just either side of the top and bottom of the tides has produced big jew on the beach bay and rivers.

Landbased I usually find either 3 hours leading up to high tide or 3 hours after hide tide work nicely for many spots. If you find a new spot try a few variations and fish whenever you get the chance. Try and keep a log so you can see for yourself what works and what doesn't.

Archived