Artsy Fartsy photo's

Feral

I see Ando has just posted another stonker fish, being the private fella he is, he blacked out the background to preserve his spot.

I made the suggestion that the blokes who like to hide their exact spots should learn to use their camera to make an artsy fartsy shot, where the background is all blurry (and unidentifiable) to save all the mucking around with photoshop.

Also you gotta admit some efforts of blacking out are pretty crude!

Anyway I thought a thread on how to take certain types of photo's might be a sharing experience.

How to make the background of your photo blury, and unidentifiable, while you and your fish are in perfect focus!

Easiest way is to manually set the F Stop of your camera as low as you can. Then to enhance the blurring you can step back a few paces, and zoom in on the subject to maximum zoom to enhance the background blur.

fishyman wrote:

good idea feral, but sometimes this just wont work. but i agree its better than shitty paint jobs. there are programs that manipulate the background i think Obone used one that swirled it all up into a big mess that was better than just plain black.

any hints on where to find it?

photoshop.

Not really.

I've seen some pretty impressive digital compact point and shoot cameras that have many of the functions of an SLR.

Although, a cheap twin lens SLR such as a Canon 400d will only set you back about $1100 if you look around.

A camera like the one used in the third pic will set you back thousands.

whats the big secret with locations, i'll tell anybody, well nearly anybody locations where i fish, it's up to the people to go to these places time and time again, to figure out where , when , what bait ,what tides, morning or night , etc etc. i know a lot of people might go there and catch nothing, and will not go back,and your problem is solved, so everybody knows where you fish, but they DO NOT know how to fish the area..

i'm new to all the net and still don't have a camera,so i'm not up to speed with all the latest and greatest gadgets, i saw a photo on this site recently with the background blacked out,but to the guy's credit he put another photo up of the fish, in a fish shop or market,so cheers to that bloke, and everytime i see a photo with a black background i think hmmm...i think if you want to put up a photo, that's fine, but don't play with it, if your phone just takes photo's like that, all good, if those of you who want people to believe you actually caught the fish, keep the photo real, as i take people on face value, i don't take photo's at all, so maybe i can talk, but then i'd rather spend the money on fuel for fishin trips. so that's my 20 cents worth...

planetfonz wrote:

Nastymind wrote:
Perhaps somebody would like to start a seperate thread to discuss opinions of photo modifying

i support said idea!

i'd like to give my unhindered opinion on this without it being a flame war or taken in the wrong way..which is very easy to do online thats for sure..

most people here will know everyone has their own opinions, and i for 1 will be glad and apprective for info on how to use camera settings and functions. and if blacking out photos become a "no no" when posting then ill just not post any pics at and just leave it at the report.

I agree, a blacked out photo with a great fish ruins the pic. The same time taken to black out the pic could be spent to make the photo look reasonable.

In photoshop open your file, then duplicate the layer. On the original layer choose what type of effect you want for the background. Now choose the 2nd layer in layer box and delete the background using your lasso tool. Should be left with a blurred out background and yourself with your fish. Simple as that, takes all of 2 min B)

Jack-1.jpg

namyau wrote:

planetfonz wrote:
Nastymind wrote:
Perhaps somebody would like to start a seperate thread to discuss opinions of photo modifying

i support said idea!

i'd like to give my unhindered opinion on this without it being a flame war or taken in the wrong way..which is very easy to do online thats for sure..

most people here will know everyone has their own opinions, and i for 1 will be glad and apprective for info on how to use camera settings and functions. and if blacking out photos become a "no no" when posting then ill just not post any pics at and just leave it at the report.

Great! Someone else who wants to keep this thread 'on topic'.

Do you have an SLR, Namyau?

( Back on track, second time around :silly: )

If you do, what lens are you using?

nope no slr - i could poss talk my friend into lending me theirs i have a few friends that are into it but everyones busy with their own stuff. i normally use my nokia n95 has a 5mp camera and just basic stuff like exposure, contrast, white balance, colour tone, iso and sharpness but i have no clue on some of the stuff. i have played around with some settings and takes ages for the image to appear after i have taken a pic - i think thats due to the mp setings as i can select between 0.3mp to 5mp and i have it on 5

I've got a Canon 400d and use it to shoot all of my motorsport shots - it does a fantastic job! I've had the camera for about 12 months now and am getting better with it each time I take it out to use it!!

One day I hope to catch a fish worthy enough to bother to take the Canon out of the car... but that's yet to happen since I bought the camera!! :(

There can be a lot more to cameras and photography than simple point and shoot, but the results speak for themselves!

Shorty :)

I bought a 400d one week before i went to Japan.

Could have bought it for half the price there.

Spewin!

I've learnt alot about photography from a lad who i work with who is an adventure journalist/photographer.

He's written some articles for Outer Edge as well.

There's alot involved but once you're confident with the basic manual modes, it all takes off from there.

Archived