Gold Creek Reservoir classes as a lake/dam i think

bogan

Anybody every tried fishing here?

Used to run around it (about a 90 minute round trip) with my dog, never thought to throw a line in there at the time.

I only ever saw turtles in there, i'd imagine there'd be some deep water in there as well, couple of good level banks to fish off, plenty of overhanging trees, tributary that flows into it, gotta be something there, any ideas?

*Oh, and i should mention there's normally a warning sign on the front gates, if you use street viewer in maps.google.com , looks like some kids have ripped off the sign*

goldcreek.jpg

Edit: Location: kenmore shopping village, gold creek road, all the way to the end, jump the gates, walk up the hill.

Finally.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

mangler wrote:

If you keen for an exploration fish, let me know, I would be keen, as it's been on my to do list for a long time.

Matt

Matt, been on mine for a while as well.

Nitris wrote:

I know the exact place ur talking about

Jump the gate, or squeeze through if you're a small bloke :cheer:

It's only about 5 foot, no wire, no other obstacles except for a 500 metre walkr and a 40-50 metre accent up a hill.

I was quite curious too see if anybody had been there (fishing) before, obviously not

I think the shallow north east corner or where the tributary flows in would be the place to be. The shallow north east corner is in a deep spot just before the spill way, quiet water, but very deep.

The tributary entry is a bit of a hike, would take a good 30 mins......

mangler wrote:

my guess would be eels, turtles & eel tailed catties

I already know its full of turtles, one time it over flowed when i was there, i carried about 25 turtles back up to the dam.

Eels, definately.

What else? I dunno, hence the post.

bogan wrote:

Finally.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

mangler wrote:

If you keen for an exploration fish, let me know, I would be keen, as it's been on my to do list for a long time.

Matt

Matt, been on mine for a while as well.

Wanna check it out sometime then? I'd be up for it.

Sax: Try smaller lures like Halco Laser Pro's and SX40's. These are usually deadly on spangled perch.

In a location like this id prepare for the unexpected as well. You just never know what aquarium fish both good and bafd could have been dumped in a place like this over the years.

Angus

Hi!

Some inside info. ;)

The Queensland Bulk Water Supply Authority, trading as Seqwater, began operation on 1 July 2008. The new entity brings together the assets of 15 different entities into one water service provider for South East Queensland (SEQ).

Reservoirs maintained by Seqwater:

- Gold Creek (referred to as a reservoir and a dam)

- Cameron's Hill # 1

- Holt's Hill reservoirs #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7

- North Pine # 1 and 2

- Enoggera

Phone: 3229 3399

email: website.questions@seqwater.com.au

Company: Seqwater

Maybe double check with them....?

:)

I'm well aware it's illegal to fish/enter there.

There were doing some construction work late last year/early this year.

The place is pretty empty from 4pm onwards and on the weekends.

If you are bothered to walk around it, you'll see pig traps everywhere with mollasses in them, and the occasional ranger on a quad/dirt bike, but they've never cared before.

bogan wrote:

mangler wrote:

I already know its full of turtles, one time it over flowed when i was there, i carried about 25 turtles back up to the dam.

Eels, definately.

Bogon you do not have to carry turtles, they are quite capable of getting around on dry land.

Dan

hey all,

i was at Gold Creek Reservoir on the weekend.

It is not illegal to go there, there are toilet blocks and walking paths. I saw signs saying you are not able to 4x4 or ride dirt bikes, but none of them say anything about fishing. I had a quick flick and then went for a swim, but to be honest i dont think its very fishy. Although i probaly didnt give it enough time. (I was struggling with a monster hangover)

Another thing, there is an introduced species of weed slowly taking over, which makes fishing a bit tricky.

If you go there be careful swimming , we met some locals and they showed us the best spot to swim, you should not swim or fish around the area which has the tower in the water, the reservior is an old mine and has some metal scrap in the water.

Id like to have another go fishing it, but id be keen to go with someone who has a bit of fresh water experience, If you want to come along pm me.

Just got this email back this morning:

Ash,

In answer to your query, fishing and/or kayaking are not permitted in Gold Creek Dam.

Seqwater is currently carrying out a review of the recreational use of all the dams in South-East Queensland that are now under Seqwater control. Until that review is completed, we will not be in a position to alter the recreational use of the sites.

If you have any queries, please contact me.

Regards,

Queensland Bulk Water Supply Authority trading as Seqwater

Bummer!

I think the official line is its prohibited, but i dont think they actually mind if people are fishing/swimming, as they haven't put any signs in place to say its not allowed.

Id say its an issue of liability rather than conservation.

hopefully they review the situation and let the public enjoy public space.

flatty_catcher wrote:

bogan wrote:
mangler wrote:

Eels, definately.

Bogon you do not have to carry turtles, they are quite capable of getting around on dry land.

Dan

Most of them at the time were on the backs in the sun, or completely tangled in grass/weed after being streamed over the dam wall, barely moving (sorry, i should have mentioned that)

sax wrote:

Id say its an issue of liability rather than conservation.

hopefully they review the situation and let the public enjoy public space.

In saying that, if you're just the odd bloke on his own or even with a mate, nobody is going to care.

But yeah, its a magical spot.

As Ash posted and I also found out fishing is prohibited in both Gold Creek and Enoggera resevoirs.Maybe when SEQ water gets itself sorted out a little more stocking groups could be formed to stock these waters. Another dam that comes to mind is Leslie Harrison at Capalaba.It would be great if all waters managed by SEQ water all were stocked and and had access regulated equatably with the one set of rules.

I would be quite happy to see them electric only initially with maybe a review in the future to maybe Lenthalls type rules.

Cheers

Ray

• 2 months later...

Freshy2Fish wrote:

Gold Creek is now under SEQ Water so rules apply as per the Wivenhoe-Somerset dams. at present there is no real idea on whats in there, there is going to be surveys done on the dam and surroundings to gain an understanding to how good the water quality is,

will keep you posted on this

Does that mean I could take the kayak in there?

Archived