Wisemans Ferry Fishing

riverhauler456

at a school camp i was canoeing down a tributary of the hawkesbury river which is apparently brackish and gets bass and bream, but i saw 2 carp there 1 swimming around and another dead, do carp tolerate brackish or something because it isn't freshwater, there is a tidal effect and salinity greater than freshwater

Hello @riverhauler456.

I've got no idea about carp and don't even know where the hawkeberry river is, guessing south nsw.

But found this page on the web http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/pests-diseases/freshwater-pests/species/carp/general-information it should have your answer on brackish water carp, what I gathered from it is that carp can live in saltwater some times which is a touch concerning as they may be able to transfer river systems.

Hope this helps and gives you the answer you want :) 

Tilapia tolerate a high salinity. Maybe carp do as well. It would explain how they thrive in the Murray darling systems with the increased salinity.

The fact they come up to the surface to take gulps in low oxygenated water makes me think it is more than possible.

Angus

Archived