Nerang River

NickyG

Hi again all, drove over the nerang the other day, thought that looks good, then saw a video where guys were getting good jacks there. Checked it on my chart looks mighty shallow all thru there, even from the start at the coast. Anyone know much about navigating those waters? Is it too shallow, has to be timed on hi tide only? Is it worth the trip down from coochie?

p.s did cooch and peel yesterday not much luck, but lovely day floating..cheers

i've navigated a lot of it by tinny as a young guy on the gold coast. we used to go to the broadwater from clear island waters no trouble and up to the park near the highway. gets mighty shallow up at the fresh to the point of non-navigability. jacks are in the gold coast canals but there is a bit of fishing pressure on the nerang. good crabbing and bream and whiting is what i always got from it but i have it on good authority that it is full of bass and sharks too. it's always worth putting a live herring out for flathead too.

bit of a trek from cooch, was thinking of doing at least one overnighter, sleep on tinnie at southern end of straddie, then head on down so we can play for a full day, then home, bit of fish at the pin, then back to cooch...sigh my mate with boat is away for a whole week, so i guess it's shultz canal on the push bike for me

Archived