Tailor

bennyl

have been getting a few on the shallow reefs off Redcliffe early morning and late afternoon. Also around any of the coffee rock structure off the foreshore around the peninsula, still not huge numbers around but there is some size comming through saw a few landed last weekend that went over 40.

Davo

yeah definately plenty of tailor around the peninsula.

caught 3 at the mouth of the newport canals last week and picked up one last night fishing at woody point.

the ones at the canals were caught on pillies and last nights victim took a live pike. all fish were around the 40cm mark

These are a few spots that I may try when the winter tailor urge insists I go for a fish, the end of May/June (if the fish play the game) is usually the time I find the tailor to starting to show in some numbers for the start of winter run.

Others will know the area and/or/maybe,have knowledge of better areas and time to fish,down there.

Being an old dog not prone to new tricks, my fav baits are pillies and bonito strips… lures… shiny metal slugs

boat - Seaway, Wavebreak Island`s rock walls and deeper water at the northern and southern ends of the island are often worth checking for tailor.

Beach - The spit ,Phillip Park & Narrowneck areas look for your gutters.. any decent gutter along the coast will hold them,if their around.

better times and tides… early morning (dawnish) and evening just before sunset – 9pmish… that’s not to say you won`t catch tailor any other times but the quality and numbers may not be present.

Rocks - Seaway walls, Burleigh point , Currumbin Rocks, Kirra (big) groyne, Wavebreak Island`s rock walls and just over the border Tweed wall, Fingal …

Before going out on any rocks/walls/ ledges etc spend 10-15 minutes watching what the waters/swells is doing, if it doesn`t look good..don`t go out on them

Toby style lures. Get a ganging 4/0 or 5/0 and close over a swivel and the other end of the swivel onto the split ring next to tje trebles. Find a spot, cast it, crank it back through the white water.

If you don't get one on 20 casts find a new spot. Or try again layer.

Big tips: some depth, white water / wash zones and bait = tailor.

Archived