Lol, all im catching is Gar

Okuma82

G'day all

I have been fishing 3 different spots at lake Samsonvale for i guess 3 months now and every time all im catching is Snub nosed gar and its bloddy annoying lol.

Ive tried all my 17 lures, different techniques etc and never even a glimps of perch, cod, barra or bass and am beginning to think they are messing with me and having a real good laugh lol

What am i doing wrong? Ive tried spinners, shallow diving, deep diving, surface lures, poppers, soft plastics and even chunks of fish as bait and nothing, i use pretty bright colors and mix it up with some real shiny black lures as the water is always murky, even with glasses i cant see below the water beyond say.. 2-3 foot from the bank.

Spots i choose always have a fair bit of weeds, plenty of trees, snags around. Im pretty stumped at the moment so any tips/advice would be much apreciated.

If your wondering what im using, its an Okuma 6'(1.8M) 3.5kg spinning combo with Sunline Super Natural mono(6lb)

Cheers-

Dazz

Hey mate, the bass have been really quiet at samsonvale since the floods, it isn't just you. I would recommend trying some live shrimp, put them on a no. 4 or no.6 wide-gap/wide-mouth hook about a metre under a float and cast that out, and maybe put one onto a rig with a small sinker two. You can leave them out whilst casting a lure around too.

To get the shrimp, but a shrimp pot and bait it with just about anything (i used dog pellets in a plastic conatiner with holes drilled in it) and leave it over night in some grassy/lilly covered water

good luck mate!

Thanks mate,

ill give the shrimp a go, might get some aussie tank bred feeder shrimp form the pet shop, They are pretty cheap and its quicker than catching em. Only probelm is the only hooks ive got are size 1 gamakatsu baitholders, an unknown size pack of VMC octapus style hooks, and 2 packs of small sized 10 bait holder and circle hooks. might have to head down to annaconda and pick some up.

I havnt done much float fishing, any particular style of float?, ive got a few polystyrene egg shaped floats that ive tried a few times.

Cheers-

Dazz

Don't think the float style matters too much mate, just something big enough to hold up the weight of the bait etc, you do not need anything spacial/massive.

You could try the hooks you have, but the wide-gapes tend to be better at hooking the bass with their bucket sized gobs

Fair one, ill give it a go.

Just took the VMC hooks out of the pack and they are all different sizes, there is even a few 4's and 6's in there which is handy.

Im hoping to head to the lake afterwork tomorrow, hopefully ill get something other than a gar lol, fingers crossedhey :P

Cheers mate-

Dazz

Archived