Steez pairing?

ryanyoung

G'day All,

I have recently purchased a Daiwa Steez 100HA B/C reel. I am after a nice rod to go with it. I have found the following rods that may do the job, however am after some suggestions on what might work.

Daiwa STZ 651MLRB-DA “Blitz†6’5†1 Medium Light Regular 3/32-3/4oz 6–16lb

Daiwa STZ 661MRB-XTQ-DA “Machine Gun Cast I†6’6†1 Medium Regular 1/18-5/8oz 8–16lb

The combo will be used for freshwater, and mainly targetting bass, yellas and the odd cod. Lures used would probably include heavier crankbaits, spinnerbaits, surface lures and lipless cranks. I have been looking on the American market for a rod, however these are more designed for largemouth bass, and are generally a bit heavier than what I would like.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to catching up with you all again in a few months.

Cheers,

Ryan.

The Blitz would be a beautiful rod for your Steez. My Steez sits on a Loomis CBR 783 Crankbait rod which I use for bass and cod. The other rod I use a bit is a Diawa Tornament Master X 8-12lb. Both rods will cast lures down to around 5 grams a really good distance and have heaps of grunt. I can cast lighter lures if I take a bit of care, but for comfortable fishing I like to go 5 grams and over.

Look after your reel and run it with some rocket fuel to get it spinning like mad...it'll cast lures that no baitcaster has any business casting.

They are amazing little reels.

Mate, Rocket Fuel is a super fine reel oil from the UK. They use it for tournament casting. Standard reel oil works OK but if you take you reel apart and put one drop of Rocket Fuel on each visible bearing you'll be amazed at the difference it makes. It comes in three grades. Blue yellow and red. I use yellow which is medium grade. It doesn't last as long as standard oil and you have to apply say every three or four sessions.

I get mine through fish head.

Who are you sir and what have you done with the upstanding military man I know as Ryan. You know the guy with the outsized rod and reel to catch bream and who would rather go for a swim in the middle of winter than lose a lure. I shall be reporting you to the committee!

A Steez no less well la-de-da. Good luck with it Rhine.

Archived