Smelly Lures...

Big Mac

Hey Everyone I've got a bit of a dilemma ,before I went away for a week I sprayed my hardbody lures with WD-40 I get back now and realise that probably wasnt the smartest thing....my lures now smell like chemicals and was wondering if that  affects their fishing and if so how do I get rid of it!! PLEASE HELP :worship:

Hey mate, the biggest difference is likely to be in your own mind. I have seen plenty of lures coated in WD40, Lanox or Inox catch a lot of fish.

If you are worried, then chances are that with the slightest hint of a slow day you'll question the lures, followed by not presenting them as well as you normally would. From here it will be a downward spiral. Best give them a little scrub if you are worried.

It wont make a difference to the lure, but it will be peace of mind for you.

You do have to be careful with some of those sprays as a couple of them will cause havoc on some plastics.

8 hours ago, Terry H said:

Hey mate, the biggest difference is likely to be in your own mind. I have seen plenty of lures coated in WD40, Lanox or Inox catch a lot of fish.

If you are worried, then chances are that with the slightest hint of a slow day you'll question the lures, followed by not presenting them as well as you normally would. From here it will be a downward spiral. Best give them a little scrub if you are worried.

It wont make a difference to the lure, but it will be peace of mind for you.

You do have to be careful with some of those sprays as a couple of them will cause havoc on some plastics.

Very help full... Thanks

• 2 months later...
On 5 February 2016 at 8:11 PM, Big Mac said:

Hey Everyone I've got a bit of a dilemma ,before I went away for a week I sprayed my hardbody lures with WD-40 I get back now and realise that probably wasnt the smartest thing....my lures now smell like chemicals and was wondering if that  affects their fishing and if so how do I get rid of it!! PLEASE HELP :worship:

hey mate funny fact WD 40 is actually a fish oil based lubricant, they use it in some parts of the world as an attractant. As for what else is in it that could effect the lure  ... who knows. 

Cant hurt to give em a clean.

Archived