Any Idea About Hook Mullet

Jun

Hi,there.anyone had a luck hooked mullet in brizzy/logan riveror its surrounding area .I have never catch one by hook so very keen to give it a go and i would not know some secret spots but normal ones.I think maybe it is not easy in tide water cause the heavy current.much appreciated of all suggestion and have a good luck on Easter.Thanks.

Jun

Haven't got one in the river but did get one at Raby Bay foreshores. Was chasing Garfish that were around using breadmix and happened to pull one in.

Other method I know used to work when I was young was 'jigging' for mullet and other small fish. This was off the Urangan Pier in Hervey Bay and I would not know if jigging is now banned or not due to the amount of hooks on the line used.

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 11:20 PM, Jun said:

Hi,there.anyone had a luck hooked mullet in brizzy/logan riveror its surrounding area .I have never catch one by hook so very keen to give it a go and i would not know some secret spots but normal ones.I think maybe it is not easy in tide water cause the heavy current.much appreciated of all suggestion and have a good luck on Easter.Thanks.

Jun

Never caught mullet on hook in those rivers but have in the nearby Kedron brook which is a 5 minute drive north of the Brisbane river (traffic pending) with my best going 26cm but spotted heaps of 30cm+ fish. The spots in the brook which would be "normal" I guess would be above any of the manmade weirs/walkways - a quick look on google earth will give you a dozen or so spots to try within a 1km of each other which you can just park your car and go for walk "weir hopping". Note the Kedron brook is a freshwater/brackish creek and is shorebased access only (or VERY keen kayakers). 

Also with current problem you could try using a bigger float e.g. instead of 1" try a 2.5" and/or cast up current keeping your line taught with tiny hooks i.e. sz8 - sz12.

56 minutes ago, curranboy99 said:

Never caught mullet on hook in those rivers but have in the nearby Kedron brook which is a 5 minute drive north of the Brisbane river (traffic pending) with my best going 26cm but spotted heaps of 30cm+ fish. The spots in the brook which would be "normal" I guess would be above any of the manmade weirs/walkways - a quick look on google earth will give you a dozen or so spots to try within a 1km of each other which you can just park your car and go for walk "weir hopping". Note the Kedron brook is a freshwater/brackish creek and is shorebased access only (or VERY keen kayakers). 

Also with current problem you could try using a bigger float e.g. instead of 1" try a 2.5" and/or cast up current keeping your line taught with tiny hooks i.e. sz8 - sz12.

How far up Kedron Brook?

8 minutes ago, Avitir said:

How far up Kedron Brook?

Anywhere from Everton Park thru till Ferny Grove is where I fish only due to access (30 second bike ride to my nearest weir) so quite far up there. I know of mullet getting caught along Toombul as well so they are throughout the system; salt, brackish, fresh (running and stagnant).   

Archived