Help/advice, Targeting Hoodlum Kingfish Off The Rocks Nsw

Keenas4kingfishing

Hey guys, been trawling the net and various forums lately looking for good info on where a good spot for me to head would be for my first couple of lashes at rock fishing, but with all the info out there being rather hazy im confused  as to where i could try, im well aware of the dangers and plan on wearing a life jacket, good shoes for the rocks .. and definitely will be checking weather and having a good look at the spot beforehand .. wont be putting a fish before my life, but in saying that unfortunately i don't know any experienced rock fisherman to tag along :no:, so i want to take it slow, steady & be safe while enjoying myself, I'm not an expert fisherman im novice at best and only just getting into it over the last few weeks but loving every minute of it and learning quick !, So far caught, flatties, whiting, jewfish !!, garfish, bass .. and a run or two on livebait out at berowra .. but lost them :angry:

So anyway I'm interested in targeting kingfish, great amberjack, yellowfin/longtail tuna, spanish mackerel & maybe marlin

but at the moment i really want to put in solid time to get some good kingies 20kg and up, around sydney or up north/down south

but really the only info ive come up with on where i could target bigger kingies being landbased is bluefish point and just by looking at it, far from ready to go there .. so are there any other spots around where i could target them ? also i have no dramas travelling 2-3 hrs, im not asking anyone to give away a their super secret spot or anything just looking for a point in the right direction and any advice that can be given.

ive also read around terrigal "the breakwall" ? is good for longfin tuna at this time of year when does the season end ?, basically if i cant get any solid info on kingi spots i was thinking of hitting that up for a lash to see if i can hookup to a good tuna :fishing:

anyways thanks in advance to anyone who jumps in and lends there knowledge.

*also have a kayak i could use to jig if there's any real options around for a bigger kingy that way ?

Firstly, welcome to the forum :). I'm sure others more experienced with this form of fishing will be able to help more. 

I am assuming you have seen the 'morning tide' lbg fishing videos on YouTube? You will notice there are 2 or 3 guys there to help land these big fish (although how they land them is stupid as they jump in the water haha). Definitely never go by yourself if you actually want to land these bigger fish, also for safety reasons. 

It's a very tough form of fishing especially if you are less experienced, so be prepared to go through the whole learning curve of fishing as well as the joys of rock fishing where actually landing most fish is a challenge even for the most experienced. What I'm saying is there's a good chance you will only land 1 out of 10 hooked for a little while. I personally would be persisting with 'easier' land based fishing for a while til your angling skills are improved but that's your choice. 

In regards to spots it seems most people don't share them. I reckon the best spots are the ones that aren't all over the internet. So find a headland and go check it out for yourself. Google earth can be a handy tool for this. The least fished spots are going to be the hardest to get to. Obviously if it was easy to get to everyone would be fishing there. These bigger fish like kingfish and tuna are all up and down the coast so there is no secret spot for them, the people who have regular success have generally worked out each spot and what times/tide/moonphase etc it seems to fish best. 

Mate I have chased kings a lot at Stradbroke Island now with mixed success.

Landed plenty of 70-80cm models now but get regularly stuffed over. This is 1005 because I try fishing to light for them but on the flip side when I have fished heavy there have been far less hook ups. 

The point is definitely home to big kings however, not to mention passing GT's, Longtail and Spanish.

Thought a QLD option may be worth pointing out.

Some of the Sunny Coast boys do well at Double Island and even the Noosa National Park as well.

Angus

@samsteele115  cheers buddy liking the forum so far and theres some good info on here thats for sure.

" I am assuming you have seen the 'morning tide' lbg fishing videos on YouTube? You will notice there are 2 or 3 guys there to help land these big fish (although how they land them is stupid as they jump in the water haha). Definitely never go by yourself if you actually want to land these bigger fish, also for safety reasons "

mate some of the fish i see these guys landing is crazzzy doing offshore jigging in sydney ! .. big kings ! .. but being landbased i guess it makes it all that much more challenging, as i said im willing to put in the time just wanting to put in the time so ill hit up google earth as suggested and look for somewhere on the north coastline, id rather not do it by myself to be honest, but theres really no one i know that wants to put in the time like i do targeting these fish, so ill have to go it alone, and learn as time goes by.

@Angus - any luck finding a decky ;) .. mate id take you up on the offer if i was up that way .. seems an offer i couldnt refuse :D.

i can see how you'd get a little stuffed over using lighter gear, but at the same time im sure you'd be getting a lot more enjoyment out of it .. as fish fight harder that way, ive been looking at queensland options also but that's more an end of year thing when ive got a few weeks to myself, and ill definitely keep those spots jotted down, cheers bud !

• 2 months later...

When I lived in Sydney I used to fish Whale Beach - the rocks there are pretty good. I don't think it's a big secret any more, it was published in a fishing guide book when I found out about it......You need a rope to get down so take a mate and only go when the sea is good. I caught kings and bonito there, in the good old days people landed yellowfin...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived